Re-post - Rain drops keep falling on my head

I love trying to photograph rain drops. This little columbine was saturated with drops yesterday and I couldn’t resist.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I’m not sure if this little flower belong here or in the macro critique? I took it with my 16-80mm lens with a 36mm extension tube attached. Anyone have suggestions on how to calculate the magnification ratio when using an extension tube? I haven’t figured out how to do that yet??
One other question; any thoughts between shooting a photo like this with a dedicated macro lens vs a “normal” lens with an extension tube (like I did)?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I did darken the background a bit and apply some vignetting. Is it too dark?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/9, ISO 200, 1/60 sec., 16-80mm w/36mm extension tube.

All comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged. Thank you.

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Linda: The drops on the flower and stem are strong elements and I even like the bokeh from the BG drops. Columbines are wonderful flowers and you’ve done this one justice.
With regard to your question regarding macro lenses vs using tubes I personally much prefer using a macro lens but there are times where I’ll put tubes on a zoom. In general image quality with a fixed focal length macro is going to be better. I have both a 100mm macro and a 200mm macro. The 200mm practically lives on my camera. The 100mm though is far and away the sharpest lens in my bag and I do have some pretty nice glass to compete with it. My preference for the 200mm is because of the longer working distance, narrower field of view and it has a tripod collar. It is probably 3 or 4 times the weight of the 100mm so I rarely hand hold it but it is manageable. I like the zoom with tubes when I’m restricted to a camera placement that needs more flexibility than I can get with a fixed focus lens or I want the length of my 70-400. Hope that helps and I’ll be happy to elaborate if you have more questions. >=))>

1 Like

What cool water drops, all over that stem, even on the top! I do feel like this could be lighter, at least the flower and drops. I certainly has the feel of a dark, rainy day, so if that was the mood you wanted to convey, it works. The red flower might stand out more if the background was lighter. I did a quick edit to show what that might look like (I lightened just the reds of the main flower, than lightened the whole frame). Also, a smaller crop, taking some off the right side, as there isn’t much going on there. Hope you don’t mind. I think lightening it brings out the lovely OOF water drops in the background, too. Your vignette is good, as it directs out eye into the frame. Nice work!

My thoughts largely echo Bonnie’s, Linda. I think there’s a question of personal preference here - your original gives a strong impression of a gloomy day, capturing the mood perfectly. Brightening the image detracts from that effect but does show up the flower more clearly. It all depends on what effect you are seeking.

Linda, it’s been very rainy here also, but we don’t have any Columbine blooming… I’m generally not a fan of heavy vignetting although light vignetting (barely noticeable) is often of value. In fact the “old time” photogs routinely talked of “edge burning” to darken the edges just enough to help the viewer’s eyes stay in the frame. When you add extension tubes to any lens, you can estimate the added magnification (as a percent) by diviging the extension amount by the focal length. (e.g. a 100 mm lens with 30 mm of extension would increase the magnification by 30/100=0.3 or 30%.) Technically that is really only true at closest focus where you know the len’s magnification ratio. With a zoom, the manufacturer’s specifications often give only the maximum magnification, which is the magnification at closest focus of the longest focal length. For my 100-400, that spec. is 0.31 or slightly less that 1/3 life size. With my 180 mm macro, which has a maximum magnification of 1.0 (life size) adding 60 mm of extension lets me get to 1.3. Extension tubes are a great way to get started in macro work, but if you get serious, you’ll probably want a “true macro” lens, which is one that will get you to magnification=1.0. If my explanations are not clear, shoot me a message.

1 Like

Oh Linda, you really got in there and got those rain drops nicely on this beautiful flower. At first look, it felt a bit dark, but I am not sure I would want to lighten it by much, as it does give it the feel of a cloudy, rainy day, and I think makes the drops and the that deep red flower appear natural. That is just my feel on it. As Ian brought out, it all depends on what effect you are seeking. I am guilty of not using the tubes much anymore, so appreciated Bill and Mark’s comments, which I thought were quite helpful. I have put them on regular zoom lenses, as well as macro lenses (have the 100 mm and the 180 mm). As for where this image should be posted, I think it fits in either category, so it is find here in Flora. I am really impressed with you shot here. You are going to encourage me to try to shoot rain drops again!

Re-post of “rain drops falling on my head”

First, thank you @Bill_Fach, @Mark_Seaver, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Ian_Wolfenden and @Shirley_Freeman for your kind words of encouragement, comments and suggestions. I’ve “re-posted” the little flower with many of changes you suggested (not sure I “re posted” correctly) .
I do tend to prefer darker images, especially for this type because it was a rainy, foggy dark day. But also wanted to experiment with a different approach. I did lighten the photo a bit and pulled back the vignetting a lot. And also cropped as Bonnie had suggested. Definitely like the crop, thanks Bonnie.
Also appreciate everyone’s comments about dedicated macros lens vs extension tubes. I do have a Tokina 100mm macro lens and normally use that exclusively for close up photos such as this. However, I just wanted to experiment with the extension tube. First thing I realized was I had to be much, much closer to the subject. Definitely not good. Mark and Bill, you are totally right about using dedicated macro lenses.
Thanks again everyone.

1 Like

I like the exposure in this one much better. The crop helps as well. Nice improvement, in my opinion.

1 Like

Thank you Shirley. It was a great exercise for me to do, learned lots. . . . .and a lot more to learn.

1 Like

Linda: :+1: :+1: on the repost; you made a fine capture even better. >=))>

2 Likes