Ready to Sail?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Look carefully. The patch of trees are growing inside a derelict ship. I was driving by to scout a potential sunset site when I saw this. I turned around and tried to find a decent comp, but this was the only place I could see it without trespassing. I would love to see it from the water side.

Specific Feedback

I’m not really looking for critical feedback - this is really just a snapshot. I just wanted to show this odd scene.

Technical Details

D850, 70-200 @ 85mm, ISO 400, f/16, 1/200 sec, handheld

2 Likes

Funny, I noticed the ship back there almost first when I looked. Maybe it’s my years of scanning roadsides for sharp outlines that are the telltale signs of abandonment. Really cool how they just let this sit and become overgrown like that. It forms part of the natural harbor and probably an nice little resting spot for birds and bugs and other critters.

This is too cool, Steve. Terrific image all around.

Ha, this is cool, this has to rank among the largest if not THE largest jetty planter.

It would be neat to know the backstory behind it.
Where is this at?

Nice find, Steve! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments @Kris_Smith , @David_Bostock and @Merv !

Merv, I really like the idea of it being a jetty planter! That made me laugh out loud. I’m planning to Google it and see what I can find, but if you want to do your own research, this is in Anacortes, WA not far from the ferry docks. I can’t tell if the keel is in the water or on dry land - I’d have to see it from a better point of view. There has to be a way down to those docks.

1 Like

Hi Steve,

It looks like it’s firmly on dry land and even protected to a degree with large rip rap like the rest of the jetty, ‘according to Google Maps’.
And there may be another smaller boat jetty planter to the right?
I tried to use the 3D tool to get a view from the other side but the 3D view was kind of flat looking as they often are.

Maybe they did the planter(s) to create a wind break?
Or maybe they just wanted their own unique landmark? “Yep, just follow the shoreline till ya see the ship with trees sticking out of it, we’re on the other side of that!” :smiley:
“Ya Can’t Miss it!” :smiley:

What a fun find!

Thanks for sharing it! :slight_smile:

Edit: Here’s a link to some images from the water side: Jetty Planter Images Link

I hope that link works OK.

OMG! That’s awesome! Thanks for sending this! I love the view of the water side.

Awesome landmark and view from the water side isn’t it! :slight_smile:

I appreciate you capturing this and sharing it because until now, I never knew there was such a thing.

Did you see the image of the history of the schooner?
Four-Masted Schooner History

Looks like they bought it in 1966 specifically for use as a breakwater filled with sand.

Yes, and that’s a great history. I had no idea I was photographing a ship with historical significance. So very cool! Thanks again for finding all this info and sharing it.