Red Eyed Leaf Frog

A common inhabitants of the Costa Rican jungle, this tiny frog has a lot of class. This was taken at amphibian refuge where the species were collected the morning of our visit and released into the wild after we had finished photographing them.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Iso-1600, 105 macro, F-14, 2000th, flash at -3, handheld, 80% of full frame, DxO Photo Lab, Adobe Camera Raw 11.2, Topaz AI Clear, Topaz Adjust, TK sharpening action at 5%.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Some really gaudy colors there, David. Reminds me of an amphibian Painted Bunting. Nice work.

David: you’ve captured the exotic coloration of this little guy very well. My only minor suggestion would be to clone out some of the specular highlights caused by the flash. Excellent otherwise. Richard

Excellent color and detail David. I like this as posted- the moisture on the frog’s skin is most always going to be problematic with flash under the conditions we were shooting, and the highlights are not a concern for me. Nice work.

I seem to like everything about this picture, except the harsh flash light.

I’m really enjoying your shots from Costa Rica. What a great subject! As you know, I’m a beginner when it comes to flash so I can’t really comment on the techs. All I know is that I like this photo. I like the black background that really sets off his beautiful colors.

Man, oh man! That is a very cool shot of a very cool looking frog. What’s not to like?