Red Rock Canyon

Unlike the desert sw of the United States we don’t have lots of red rocks so we get excited when we see them :laughing:.

This is from the bottom of the infamous red rick canyon in Waterton Lakes National Park

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome.

I am specifically interested in your opinion as a viewer what crop makes more impact? Perhapse none?
I struggled in deciding wether to keep the mountain or lose it as i found it distracting from the Rocks and the small water cascade.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
This is a focus stack image of two images one focused really close under the lens and the other on the mountain. I also took a longer shutter shot to smooth out the water.

Sony a7ii
Sony 20 mm f1.8
F11
Various ss

@arefalragehi

1 Like

Aref, I think the mountain adds a lot of interest with the river still the focus of the image. Like the very low perspective as well.

1 Like

Thanks Mario
I really wish i had tilted the camera up but then i lose the perspective of the foreground i guess i could have done a pano. Because with the mountain touching the edge it is too tight
Rookie mistakes :man_facepalming:t2:

Fascinating place. You composed the rocks and water very nicely. The mountains look cut off, though, and I prefer the comp w/o them better.

1 Like

I love the striping in the rocks Aref, and all the curves in the foreground pulling your eye up to the falls and trees beyond. The shutter speed looks good to my eye. I don’t love the mountain touching the top edge, but cropping it as you have decreases the impact of the V formation of the valley. I’ve taken many photos where I got home and wished I had done something differently, so I know the feeling!

1 Like

Thanks Tony
Really appreciate your feedback

:sweat:
Your comment about the V is interesting. Do you think a better crop with more of that V would work better like this one here

The design of the light sedimentary looks as though it’s actually a branch of the river flowing towards the viewer. Was that the intention?

No i did not see that ti be honest but now i see what you mean
I was just intrigued by the revers s (almost) that those rock layers form

Hi Aref, I think the crop does have a stronger V shape than the crop you show in the original post.

1 Like

Hey man - I like that you cropped this, it looks a lot better! =)

1 Like

Thanks @Matt_Payne
Yeah the crop in the comments is what i will go for
This was based on Graig’s suggestion to have a bit more of the V shape
So it is kind of n the middle of the two crops i had initially