Red-tail LIfting Off

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I got several shots of this handsome Red-tail taking off but this one is my favorite with the wing feathers shadows playing across its body. Did I give it enough room to “fly into” on the left? D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, gimbal/monopod, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 500, AI Clear, cropped to 3135 x 2315

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hello, Dave - a nice flight shot of this raptor. Indeed, the shadows are quite interesting, I cannot remember having seen it this way before. To answer your question: for the there’s enough room on the left. The larger version however looks a little soft to me, which with this bird and 1/3200 wonders me a bit - maybe the effect of the converter ? Cheers, Hans

I agree with Hans on this one, I would suggest you repost it without AI Clear to see the difference.

Hi Dave, nice pose you captured with interesting shadows. I also agree with Hans on the sharpness. I could see adding a bit more room on the left.

After taking another hard look at this shot, trying another version with, and without AI Clear, and massaging its sharpness, etc I’ve come to the conclusion that this was a very interesting pose but just too soft to do too much with. I’m learning.

1 Like