Red-tailed Hawk

I saw this guy in a tree well up the hill from our house. Managed to grab the camera and work my way up, mostly hidden behind trees with thick branches. It’s not exactly a collector’s item, with the very steep angle (the tree was tall and still well uphill from me) but always good to get a hawk.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Full frame top and bottom, cropped from the sides. Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 1000mm. f/14 (wide open), ISO 1600, 1/400. Hand held. In my haste I hadn’t noticed the settings or I would have increased the ISO. It’s normally at least at 3200. Didn’t even bother to do denoise or any sharpening, but I will probably go back and do it. Quite a bit of branch pruning.

Good for you to get the photo Diane. Even tho it is up high I think that stare down pose adds to the image. And well done on the perch. It looks good.

Good job on the detail and color. Yes the steep angle does detract but you get what you get.

Good job on this one, Diane. Nice to get it looking down at you-that does a lot to mitigate a steep angle.