Reeds

Yes, the prodigal son returns! Sorry for my prolonged absence, but staying too darn busy. Anyway, this is an older image that I recently re-worked. There’s something about it that I really like, but at the same time, there’s things I don’t like also, like the ends of the reeds being a bit blurred due to dim light conditions. Today, I would just increase the ISO and shoot a higher speed but this was shot with a Nikon D2x and it had horrible noise with anything much higher than normal ISO (100).

Would love any and all comments, suggestions, or critiques.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D2x w/70-300 @ 70mm. 1/4 @ f/11, 100 ISO, Tripod.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Bill, just gorgeous. My kind of image. No nits whatsoever; it evokes great emotions in me. Thanks for sharing this with us. I actually don’t mind the blurriness at all. It feels appropriate and probably adds to the painterly looks to it.

Bill, I think this is a real stunner! I also like the softness of the image and think it adds to the mood. My only nit, I would like a touch more canvas to the right of the tip of the arching reed. I feel a bit of tension at that point, but that is minor and this is beautiful work!

Beautiful, Bill. Looks great in B&W, enhancing the abstract nature of the image. The reed tips don’t bother me even the slightest, they look quite natural in the scene. Excellent.

Bill! beautiful image. I call this a very ‘zen’ composition. Simple without being simplistic. The bw processing is spot on. Thanks for posting!

This is lovely. The arrangement of the elements is so pleasing. The blurry ends are not a distraction at all.

Wonderful title for this image. What I like best about it is how close it comes to the old b&w silver halide prints that had such richness of tones. The water fairly glows here.

The only suggestion I have is that it feels a bit bottom heavy. Having those circles at the bottom of the frame drags one’s attention downward. I suggest a crop off the top in the following manner. I don’t feel that the tops of the reeds need to be fully included.

1 Like

Bill: Just goes to show that what may seem commonplace subject matter can produce a wonderful image. Really nice conversion, comp and capture. >=))>

Bill,

Gotta love this. I think those parts that are blurred actually help and contribute to the beauty of this image. I’m particularly attracted to the transition between the sharper details, increased contrast in the lower portion - compared to the upper more high-key look. The transition between the two is very appealing to me. Oh, also like the half-circle of the one reed and it’s reflection. Very cool.

Hope to see more Bill!

Lon

@Lon_Overacker @Bonnie_Lampley @Bill_Fach @Adhika_Lie @Harley_Goldman @Igor_Doncov, Alan Kreyger, Janine King, - Thank you all for your kind words and thoughtful suggestions. I’m glad the blurred ends don’t seem to bother anyone!

Bill,

Nice seeing your work again here on NPN. This photo is pure elegance. Enough said.

P.S. Cool that you are still using the D2x. Me as well for my moon photos.

I am late to the party, but I love this! The tones are wonderful, and the composition is very elegant. The original image gets my vote.
-P

@Preston_Birdwell and Youssef, Thanks for your comments and kind words.

Hi Youssef, it’s nice seeing you back here as well. This is an older image taken with the D2x, but I finally did move up to the D810 a while back, but I still use the D2x for wildlife shots some time. It’s still a great camera if the light is bright enough to shoot at 100 ISO.

Dang that’s nice Bill. This one is so powerful in its simplicity. Masterfully done.

Igor,
I actually prefer the original to the crop. To me, the reads ore the subject, so I wouldn’t crop them.