Remembering old good days

I wish I could hug you
And just see your face.
But now I have memories
To stand in your place.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments are appreciated

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments are appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5D Mark IV, EF24-105mm,ISO400,70mm,f/11, 1/10sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Lana, what a wonderfully moody image. Gnarly old trees and thick fog, it doesn’t get much better than this as far as I am concerned. Overall, this is very nicely done. Processing thick fog like this can sometimes be challenging, but you have handled it very well here.

This image makes me think of some comments made by @Igor_Doncov and @Nathan_Klein on a recent post of mine “Natures First Green is Gold”, which also featured two trees. Igor said the two trees created a “ping pong” effect where the viewer was intentionally encouraged to look back and forth between the trees. The resulting tension reminded him of dissonance in music. Nathan did a rework of my image that made one tree more dominant by using contrast to affect the way the viewer perceived the image. He felt the reduced tension between the two trees created more harmony.

You clearly have one tree more dominant. One is brighter and sharper, the other is darker and more diffuse. But the two clusters of white flowers creates some of the ping pong effect (not necessarily a bad thing). I kind of like that the two flower clusters are dissonant, while the two trees are more consonant. So I think this works well as presented.

I’m also intrigued by the opportunity to create a second interpretation here, one that further emphasizes dissonance. Recompose to emphasize the duality of the trees and flowers, and make the trees more similar in luminosity. Think of this as the full “ping pong” version. It’s a different image, but one that I also find interesting.

1 Like

Thank you, @Ed_McGuirk! This is a wonderful insight. “Ping pong” approach creates a different mood.