Rescued owl

Allen’s rescued owl image reminded me that I had this one from a few years ago. The picture was taken indoors at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia in Athens, and the background is a blank wall. I don’t remember the exact details, but I believe that one Saturday morning they were hosting an event from a local volunteer organization that rescues injured wildlife and exotic pets. This owl may have been one of the latter, as it does not look like the native owls that I have seen around here (I have some pictures of the wild owls from around here that I will post one of these days). But I may be wrong, if anybody can tell me what kind of owl it is I would appreciate it. Anyway, I confess to being a “mammal chauvinist” - I like birds but not as much as our furry kin. But I have a very soft spot for owls!!!

Konica Hexanon 85mm, Olympus EPL-5, ISO 400, 1/200 s, Capture One

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.

A beautiful owl, and captured so nicely. Wonderful detail and color. It is nice that we get to see some of these birds and wildlife, and owls especially, up close like this, knowing that even though they were injured there are people taking care of them. I saw (didn’t have my camera with me at the time) a screech owl, that had only one eye (it have been hit by a car), and had been in the shelter/zoo for about 7 years. It was 18 years old, I was told, and that they live to be around 25. I still am waiting for a chance to aim my camera at one in the wild!

1 Like

This is a Great Horned Owl. Nice portrait.

Thank you Keith - I guess it could be a rescued native owl then.

Thank you for the kind words, Shirley. Yes, the fact that there are people who take care of injured or otherwise needy animals is one of the few things that has kept me from completely giving up on my species.

Good detail and the colors really come through. Good pose with the eyes having a rather intent, thoughtful look

1 Like