Rhubarb Cthulhu

Found this spider exoskeleton (what the spider leaves behind after molting) among the rhubarbs in the garden while looking for some pie raw material. Propped it up as best I could in my makeshift macro studio and shot a few stacks.

Specific Feedback Requested

The image is devoid of strong colors and the exoskeleton is rather translucent as well. Tried to make the background (underside of a rhubarb leaf) a little bit colder and the exoskeleton a hint warmer to separate them better. Did this work?

I’m also wondering about the crop - It’s “looking” towards the right side with less open space… What do you think?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
Canon EOS RP, Laowa 100mm f/2.8 macro @ 2x, flash. ISO 100, f/4.5, 1/160s, 79 images stacked in Zerene using Pmax. Post-processed in Affinity photo with the usual methods (sharpness, adjusted colors, dodge & burn, etc)

79 shots! Wow. I laughed because I’d probably do the same thing (and have done - found some weird thing and took it home or saved it to take a picture).

I think the pale qualities you’ve emphasized are appropriate. While it’s not a dead spider, the shed skin is rather ghostly. The detail is amazing. S/he didn’t tear it much getting out of it. The crop is an odd one I think. I’d rather have more leg over there and have the head be more centered (those jaws!). I’d also see about lowering the bg exposure just a bit. the fine detail in the back (that 79th image) gets a little lost. Terrific find and well photographed.

Ingemar, I agree with @Kris_Smith on this one. I am just amazed at the details of this. I didn’t even realize spiders did molt, so you have educated me on that as well. A great find and captured nicely. I hoping you cropped it that way so it was off center. I would hate for you to have to go back and shoot 79 more shots!

Ingemar, the details are amazing. I think the spider exoskeleton is nicely separated from the background. I also like the exoskeleton’s translucency. While I a more conventional approach, shifting the subject to the other side of the frame would be better, this is nicely interesting as presented.