Ringed Kingfisher

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I haven’t been around NPN much as I was leading a workshop in South America. Captured some cool images of an incredible diversity of subjects.

This was a first for me to photograph a Ringed Kingfisher. While somewhat common in South America, I had never seen one before. Loved the perch even though it caused the bird to be a bit more centered than I would have liked. I chose not to add canvas on the right as I wanted to keep the image realistic to what I saw

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Olympus EM1-X
300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
1/800 @ f/5.6, ISO 400
Handheld

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

What a beauty, Keith. I love the perch too, and I’m find with it centered in this case, as it all seems to work together nicely. The limb leads the eye to the bird from both the side (left to right) and from the bottom of the image up to him. The colors are just gorgeous. I love how he posed so nicely for you. Lighting is really nice. :+1::+1:

Nice capture Keith and I like the composition. Still plenty of space for the bird to peer into and including the full perch is a good idea. I love kingfishers and this is a splendid subject. Looks great on that worn branch with a little bit of green on it. Well done.

I like the sense of symmetry between the bird an perch. Nice lighting on the main subjects and good detail in the bird.

That is one awesome perch, Keith, and the bird’s nice too. Given the rest of the composition, the bird is fine where it is.