Ripley Creek Overhang

Seems hardly anyone uses showcase, but I’m going to drop these here because it feels like the right spot.

Ripley Creek is literally 8 minutes drive from my house. There are lots of trails around it that are great to wander and many are groomed for snowshoeing & x-country skiing. Because it’s so close and I LOVE this kind of photography I go there quite a bit. A nature fix.

These shots were taken at the base of a fallen tree on a bit of higher bank where the brook takes a tight turn. The first shot is from 2017, the second from 2019 and the last from March of 2021. I wish I had some more views just for the changes that have taken place in the years. The downed tree in the mid ground has gone from suspended to sunk. The tree I’m perched on has broken a bit more because another came down beside it and further slows the water and widens the creek bed. On either bank you can find the same trees and other landmarks to orient yourself.

All the legs of the tripod are on the tree for these and so there’s a limited area you can place it safely. This makes it easy to get basically the same view lined up, but of course there are differences. I will continue to go to Ripley creek and take shots from this vantage point so long as the giant hemlock is stable.

I thought it would be fun to share and if you have any ideas about making more images, improving these or seeing other areas of RC, let me know.

Technical Details

Composite: No
All done with either the Lumix GH3 or G9 cameras, the Lumix G Vario 12-35mm lens. My smaller tripod and filters - polarizer and/or ND. Shutter speeds in the 5-10 second range.

2 Likes

Cool! The changes in the setting are worth spending a lot of time savoring the photographs. I’m picking out a particular element of the scene and scrolling up and down to find continuity or change. The last photograph has big changes. The trinity of stone is gone! Are they hiding? Or were they moved by high water? The late Jim Croce would be proud.

Thanks Paul. I have never put these photos side by side before this post. They’re in a big album with all my images from Ripley creek, but not like this. The change is pretty interesting. As far as the rocks - I think they’re encased in ice and underwater. The additional tree that came down has widened this part of the brook and so I think they might be submerged all the time. I’ll have to go check. Definitely submerged and subsumed in ice for this last one.

Interesting. I wonder what would happen if you were able to crop the three images so you would have a close approximation of 3 identical scenes, then put them through the focus stack software?

I’ve often wanted to shoot, say a single tree in a field, each season, and then blend the three. Or maybe just a landscape panorama in each season and divide the frame into 4 blended segments, one for each season.

Hm…I hadn’t thought to try, but who knows?

Back in my film days I shot the same water-powered mill building in 3 different seasons from approximately the same position. It’s interesting, but not that much.

I think the key to doing a time-lapse type study is to find something you encounter quite a lot or something that’s compelling and convenient enough that it isn’t a chore.

I’m a fan, but this reference eludes me…

“Time in a Bottle.” It’s a stretch, sorry.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing these Kristen - Love the differences between seasons you captured here though all are beautiful.

Thanks, Dan. Looks like I need to get there in the fall though, doesn’t it? :laughing: