River bank

A winter image of the river bank near my home town. Taken during a Sunday afternoon stroll, with a small camera (Olympus Stylus 1).

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome.
There is some more FG available in the RAW file (the RAW is 4:3, I cropped the FG to get a 3:2 ratio).

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
Blend of 3 exposures.
Oly Stylus 1, ISO 100, f/2.8.

1 Like

Hey @Han_Schutten thanks for sharing.
I like the scene, the tree (which i assume is the main subject) has an interesting feel and the overall atmosphere has that dreary vibe which i like.

What i would suggest for something like this is to keep the frame focused on the subject. The tree to the left side and the sun in the frame are distractions (again assuming the big tree is the main subject) and i would have like to see some breathing room to the right of the main tree.

Thank you @Aref , glad you like the scene.
The tree is not exactly the main subject. The mood in the image is more important to me. Therefore I don’t like to crop, to remove the sun.
I agree about your suggestion to have more space on the right of the tree. It is not in the RAW file, so this is an omission that cannot be corrected.

I would not want to crop the sun away either, I rather like the interplay of the sun and the tree. The light and mood in the image are enhanced by the sun in my opinion. Normally bright objects near frame edges are a no-no, but in this case it actually works for me, I think it’s the warm/cool contrast thing that makes it so. Having the sun in the frame enhances the light.

I would agree that the tree needs more breathing room, I think it is a bit tight on the right, and to a lesser degree on the top. Since you have no more space to the right in the raw file, here is another alternative to consider. Sometimes the opposite approach might help. I think this alternate crop looks a bit more deliberate.

This is an interesting approach, @Ed_McGuirk . I like the result, and keep the idea in mind for other images as well. Thanks.