Robber fly ovipositing

Here’s a robber fly (genus maybe Efferia or Neoitamus), which I think was laying eggs (ovipositing). Two shots, one with flash, one without. Flash has more detail, because it was f/16, while without flash has more background.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Gaurav, very nice details in the robber fly. I am liking the first one, with the use of flash, best of the two. The colors look more natural, and I can see the details in the fly best. The background looks fine to me in the first, as it almost complements the robber fly’s colors. The second one seems a bit green overall to me. On both, I wish that the portion of the perch that is out of focus wasn’t there, but sometimes it is hard getting a shot in macro and not run into this problem, if it is slightly closer to the lens that the subject, due to the limited depth-of-field. I wonder if you cropped a tiny bit off the right side if it would help the balance of the image. That side seems like it has a lot of empty space. Just a thought. Very nice.

1 Like

Thanks. I agree with on preferring the first one, but I know others who would prefer the natural light.

Also agree that the unfocused perch is a little distracting, but didn’t have too much choice in that. I do usually add a little extra space in my insect photos in the direction the insect is facing; IMO it sometimes helps the image “breathe”.

Thanks for your comments!

1 Like

I love the shape of the head, body and wings together. The first one has it for me Gaurav, the better definition and the balance of the the tones between the subject and the background.

1 Like

The first view is much better, Gaurav. The details in the fly show up beautifully, with the eye facets standing out. The second view has a lower camera viewpoint so there more of the fly hidden. It also looks like the focus was on the back, not the eye. The composition is good in both.

1 Like

Guarav: First image hands down for me. One can see more of the details on the fly, especially on the eye. Very nicely done. >=))>

1 Like

Interesting that the vote is unanimous for the first one – which I agree with, but didn’t expect. Thank you for the feedback.