Robberfly eating bumblebee

While visiting a natural area in Chattanooga, this large robberfly flew overhead and landed above me. I managed a few clicks before it buzzed off with its prey.

Canon 90D, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 1.4x TC III
ISO 640, f14, /800s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

Allen, this is really a great shot of a Robberfly eating a Bumble Bee. I am amazed that a Robberfly would take it on. You would think the Bumble Bee would have took him to task on it and won the battle. The details in both is really great, with a nice perch and smooth background. Excellent, and I can’t think of a thing to improve it.

Wonderful subject well photographed – great detail and wonderful color! I’m also amazed that the fly won the battle.

1 Like

Allen: A great find and a terrific capture. Just goes to prove how fierce a predator these guys can be. Most excellent. >=))>

Allen, we’ve got these around here and they seem shy and hard to photograph. This one is nice and sharp. The grass stems are a good addition.

An excellent all-around image. I agree with Mark that the grass stems top it off.

Another wonderful capture Allen, pretty rare find I would think

This looks like a worthy photo for an EP. These are challenging insects to photograph so your bugs talking skills are also worthy of merit. Well done…Jim

Great image! Love the behavioral aspect with both the predator and prey are sharp. Nice perch and background. well composed.