Rock-n-Flow

Back with Preston on Deadman Creek, Sonora Pass last month. I think we both had a productive trip. Then again, I’m undecided about this particular sequence. I’ve been sitting on these, processing, tweaking, revisiting and it’s time to just put it out there for some feedback. I’m posting three and would like feedback on either the one you like best, or the one that needs the most feedback. Please no need to comment on all.

Your comments, critiques and feedback are always welcome. Thanks!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing, colors, etc.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Which composition works best? Texture, flow of the water ok?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

All with Nikon D800E, 28-300m @180-210mm iso 71 single frames
#1 f/16 .4s
#2 f/20 .5s
#3 f/16 1/4s

Real nice series, but definitely the second one for me. I like the sweeping water flow. The bit of blue works well with the warm tones. Second place is the first image.

I like the second one also Lon. The foreground water has a nice complete fan shape.
The water patterns around the submerged rocks seem to be more cohesive in number #2.

Lon, they’re all excellent images, but for me the second one is an immediate draw between the 3 posted here…:+1::+1:

#2 is my favorite, #3 is pretty good too, and #1 doesn’t do much for me at all.

In all three shots, the rock and streaky white water are my favorite elements, and the gray/yellow water to the right and the URC, just doesn’t appeal to me (perhaps because the rest of it is so interesting in comparison). In image #1, this less interesting area plays a large role.

I prefer image #2 over #3 because I just love that C-shaped pattern in the water to the left of the rock, it creates a very powerful section of visual weight, and makes the rock even stronger as the main subject.

Not that it matters for anything, but you must have shot these at somewhat different times, or under variable clouds, given how different the golden light is hitting the rock in each shot.

Definitely #2 for me, Lon. The curve of the whitewater looping around the rock is quite dynamic. Also, either the light, or the processing reduces the influence of the yellow rock and thus provides a better balance of color.

I also like #3 because more prominence is given to the whitewater and the yellow rock.

In #1, I agree with Ed regarding the large grey area. It’s too dominant and takes away from the overall comp.

Great work, sir!
-P

Lon, These are all interesting takes and all are good. I’m going with everybody else on this and picking the second one. I like the brighter water and the motion is really nice with the shutter speed you used. Has a wonderful look and feel for me.

Lon, I am on the fence about #1 and #2 but maybe there is a slight preference to #2. You know what, you shouldn’t just pick one. You could make this intro a triptych!!

I guess I’m the outlier. I prefer #1. For me, it’s more interesting because of the diagonal composition and the textures. Perhaps it’s a preference for texture over shape?? In #2 the c shape and rock feel too close to the top, and in #3 the rock doesn’t feel as sharp or still, or is more engulfed, so I don’t feel grounded by anything.

That said, I would be proud of all three! I like Adhikas idea of a tryptich.
ML

Lon,
I am going to buck the tide here and say that # 3 is my favorite. The water has a nice diagonal flow with some amazing textures and details. What really sets this apart for me is the warm light on the rock. Of course all three are lovely and would make a nice triptych as @Adhika_Lie already mentioned.

Number 2 for me, too.

Lon,

#2. #1 and #3 not working for me. The arc in #2 is just a great compositional element.

Thank you everyone for chiming in! #2 - unanimous decision. I for sure thought someone would comment on the somewhat centered rock in #2 - but the feathery texture, flow and curve of the water seems to draw all the attention.

thanks for the comments, @Harley_Goldman, @Adhika_Lie, @Preston_Birdwell, @Ed_Lowe, @Eva_McDermott, @Marylynne_Diggs, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Ed_McGuirk , @Nick_Bristol, @Jim_Gavin, @Ed_Lowe and @Youssef_Ismail

Ed, Well, one thing is for sure, the sun was rising quickly… so the light was changing moment to moment. #3 you can see the sun finally hit the scene directly. I mainly included this one because I like the bit of a triangle created by that first light.