Rolled pebbles and seaweed at Cavalinho Beach

Specific Feedback Requested

C/C welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D810
Tamron 24-70

3 Likes

Oh nice! I did one of these on Lake Superior this summer, but didn’t have any seaweed in mine. I like the counterpoint of it. Do you have one that includes all of the four main rocks? The ones I mean are at 10, 8, 6 and 3 on the clock. I think if you shifted slightly to the left it would be a bit stronger composition, but these kinds of things are notoriously hard to do because you always end up cutting off something. Super textures and the light and colors are so soft.

This turned out really nice. The twisted seaweed in the middle is a good centerpiece, too.

Superb. Gorgeous color!!!

I see what @Kris_Smith is saying and I didn’t see it with my own eyes, but its not necessarily a “distraction” to my eye.

Very nice softness to the shapes and the colors. I like @Kris_Smith comments on the positioning. But still a nice sea pebble study.

Beautiful work. I think the composition is just fine. The stones have a nice glow to them and the color palette is appropriately gentle. I would bring the highlights down just a tad. Maybe.

The seaweed adds a extra special touch. My only suggestion would be to consider reducing the saturation or luminosity of the orange colored rock in the lower right hand corner–I find it pulling on my attention.

One issue you have is that the center is darker and the edges a lighter. Maybe a vignette to combat this?

I see the point made by @Kris_Smith about including all of certain rocks, but having done a lot of these ocean cobble shots myself, recomposing usually just introduces a new set of rocks that are cut off. To me the trick is to avoid having something looking accidentally cut off, and instead make your cutoffs look deliberate (which you essentially did). So I don’t see this as a distraction.

I love the seaweed, it’s a nice anchoring element that breaks up the pattern of the rocks (in a good way). Placing the seaweed in the center helps accomplish this too. I also think some significant edge darkening/vignetting would help here. And I would slightly reduce saturation in the orange rock in the LRC, it’s a bit of an eye magnet.

I like this scene a lot! Following the advice given by @Igor_Doncov, I added a vignette with inner light.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your comments

@Kris_Smith , @Igor_Doncov , @DeanRoyer, @Ola_Jovall and @Ed_McGuirk ; your suggestions were noted and taken into consideration

Repost much better. While I think you could creatively lower the highlights to reveal more color and texture, this is working quite nicely now.

Wonderful find and the seaweed adds a new element to a classic idea.