Roseate Spoonbill banking pose

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Roseate Spoonbills are common in one of the rookeries we visit in Louisiana. I have wanted to catch a banking pose for quite a while and finally managed it on this trip. I like how the orange in the tail is visible as it is often hidden.

Specific Feedback

I chose a square crop due to the fully spread wings. I thought it still gave enough room on the right. Any thoughts on this or anything else?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/3200s, hand held

Hi Allen,

Exposure and colors are very nice and the spoonbill is nice and sharp. Pose is pretty good too. The square crop works as well. What other crops have you tried? I might have gone for a little more space around the bird as it seems pretty tight, but not a deal-breaker. Large view is Awesome!..Jim

1 Like

Showing its colors with a vengeance, Allen! An awesome look at the back, especially with that spread tail, and you still have great eye contact. A very sweet image. On the crop, I actually find myself wishing for a bit more space on the left, probably because the bird is on that side and it fills so much of the space.

1 Like

Hi Allen,

I can certainly understand why you wanted a banking shot of one of these! It’s gorgeous!

The tail color matches the color in front of it’s eye. I can imagine how exciting it was to capture this, especially since it’s a shot you’ve wanted for a long while!

The details in the feathers, the eye, the bill and feet are all awesome!

Not a distraction at all but I do notice the difference in the amount of blur in the BG, part of it is really blurry while other parts are a little more defined. I’m sure the blurriest part is just trees that are farther away. Like I say, it’s not a distraction at all.

BTW, you managed to handle the bokeh really well, and of course the exposure on the bird is great! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on the achievement! :slight_smile:

1 Like

WHAT a cool looking bird. I’ve always wanted to see/shoot on of these. I really like the pose with all of its top of the bird detail. Never knew that they had an orange tail… I would not change anything. Great snag.

1 Like

I just drooled on my keyboard! Wonderful! I’ve only shot a few, too far away, and never saw the tail. Awesome pose and lovely BG! I like the crop!!

1 Like

What an amazing display. So much to love. I never realized the concentration of the pigment in certain areas - especially the primary shafts. Wow. And that tail. A catch of a lifetime. The only thing I’d work on is the blur - all or nothing!

1 Like