Roseate Spoonbill Nest Watch

Another image from the Alligator Farm. I really liked the delicate and watchful care exhibited by the Spoonbill. I suppose it is an anthropomorphic observation, but it seemed a gentle but firm touch to keep the awkward and flightless chick from feeding the alligators below.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Obscuring foliage and shadows made most of these photos tough to correct for, both in the camera and in Lightroom. Do you feel I accounted for these as well as possible?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Is the action clearly portrayed?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Camera Info: Nikon D750, HH, braced on railing
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E + 1.4x TC
Focal Length: 420mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Group Area AF
VR: ON
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/1600s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 400
44% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2019, Topaz Studio, Camera Raw filter, TK Sharpen for Web @ 40%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very nice habitat shot with good color and detail. I like the action and the Spoonbill seems to be looking at you.

This is quite the find, Phil. I have never seen a spoonbill nesting. Even though the one chick is back to the camera, and head down, which would take away from the shot, I think the mother’s protection with her spoonbill pressed against it makes up for it.

Excellent behavior. Detail and interaction are quite pleasing. On my monitor, the exposure could be cut down by half a stop. Overall color and textures are good.

I think you handled the complicated lighting superbly, Phil. I don’t find the shadows at all objectionable and I love the spray of palm fronds in front of the Spoonbill. It took me a few moments to figure out what the pose of the chick was but, yes, it does seem to tell the story. I think to really tell it, you’d need to mix it in with other shots showing the overall scene. It’s one thing to say there are alligators waiting for unwary chicks and quite another to see them.

Alligator photo coming up😀

Virus-free. www.avg.com