Roseate Spoonbill, Saline, Michigan

Description: On Friday, my friend posted that someone observed a roseate spoonbill feeding in an oxbow of the Saline River. The light was bad and it was very rainy on Friday evening so I decided to go after the bird on Saturday morning. A slight drizzle and heavy cloud cover was the shooting conditions after my arrival at the sight. The spoonbill was feeding in the shallows about 200 yards away and the ventured away from sight. I waited and waited and several egrets flew in followed by the spoonbill. I chose to use a 1.4x teleconverter on the 600, knowing that optimal birder views are at further distances than for optimal photography. The sun briefly came out and the autofocus locked and was able to get 4 reasonable shots. The bird was close to the edge of the frame so I added some more sky to the frame for the comp. And that is Michigan’s first record for roseate spoonbill.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850 600mm +1.4xTC (1/1250 sec at f6.3, ISO 1000), Topaz DeNoise, Daylight Temperature, Levels, Shadows % Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, Canvas added to RH side with additional sky added. The Daylight option for white balance removed the cyan cast and added subtle warming to the image…Jim

Is this a composite? yes–sky added to right side of frame.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

Hi Jim
I love the Roseate Spoonbill, emerging the trees and flying into a neutral sky. The coloring on this Spoonbill breath taking, you pick the shot to post. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like

How incredible. So glad you got a chance to get near it and get this terrific image. I like the addition of the green because it gives us context. Super detail in the face and the colors are a great balance between richness and pastel.

1 Like

Gorgeous image, wonderful delicate detail on the bird.

1 Like

I love the light through the wings on this, Jim. My wife saw this when I was looking at it and when I told her where it was taken, she went WHAT??? (we’re both from Michigan originally). Excellent job on this rarity.

1 Like

Must be global warming to bring this bird to Michigan. Wonderful shot and well processed. The light is superb.

1 Like

Excellent detail and color and the greenery adds to the interest. Nice work.

1 Like

Wonderful!! My eye goes right to the sharply detailed face. I love the greenery and excellent choice to add some canvas.

1 Like

This is an excellent in-flight capture of this Spoonbill, Jim! The pink color really makes it stand out and the clarity is excellent! Well done!

1 Like