Ruby-throated Hummingbird + Repost for Color

Description: I believe this is a juvenile male, feeding on a salvia.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any. I removed a stalk from behind the hummer. Artifacts?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM zoom @ 225mm, f/6.7, 1/750 sec., ISO 2000, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

Wow! This is great, Terry! How on earth did you freeze the action with only 1/750?! Is it because the ISO is high? I love how almost his whole face is in the flower! Like he’s really enjoying it and can’t get enough! Awesome capture!

Great catch - the pose is really nice. The colors look too saturated to me though - especially the pink/red channel. And possibly they are too cool as well. It looks good for that shutter speed though. If your fledgling is like the one I’ve photographed, they move slower than the adults, so that could be it.

Thanks @Vanessa_Hill. Kris mentions below what I was thinking: the only way I can account for freezing his wings is that he slowed his wingbeat,

@Kris_Smith I agree concerning the color. Will repost with adjustments.

1 Like

Nice capture of the hummer feeding. Details look OK, but not great. As noted by Kris, the colors are over saturated and detract from the image. I’d back off globally and especially in the red flowers. I normally select the reds and desaturate through a layer mask for my hummingbird images.

Nice catch but I agree on the original colors. I think the RP is too desaturated, though. Colors are about lots more than saturation. For the greens, desat may work, but the BG is as much yellows as greens and that impacts the flowers and bird. For the reds, try Selective Color, if you have that. Add cyan to reds, reduce magenta and increase yellow. Or try other Camera Profiles – some are way too saturated and clip highlights.