Salmon Roe Harvest

Same Brown Bear sow as my last post. This time with a Pink Salmon. There are so many salmon that she only keeps the females with eggs. She bites them, then squashes them to eject the eggs and only eats the eggs. Obviously, she prefers caviar to salmon steaks!

Sony a6500, SEL200600G @ 404 mm, ISO-640, f/6.3, 1/1600, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@garyninish

Great techs and wonderful moment, the falling water looks great !
Though not very happy about the bird in BG, it is taking the eye away from the main subject.

That’s a beautiful bear, Gary. I agree with Jagdeep that the seagull is distracting, but man, what are you gonna do??? Doggone seagulls just want to get photographed!!!
Excellent capture of the catching of the fish, and the water dripping. I just love her color.

What a gorgeous shot of the bear and its meal! If you are into image manipulation, it wouldn’t be impossible to substitute a BG without the gull. One possibility in a case like this is, if you are on a tripod, wait till the gull has moved and the BG is clear of the next bear, and shoot a clean BG to mask in. But you might miss a lot of great action that way. It could be cloned out or could just be accepted as the way things work there. The gulls like to eat, too.

Diane; Actually, this is a rather unique shot as there is only one gull in the picture. This is a sample of what you usually get in this environment :grinning:

1 Like