Salt Flat, Death Valley, National Park, CA

20-4940c|690x461](upload://31sTgIKBoA8K5ndVNRm8Y38lQ2I.jpeg)

Canon 5DMKIV, 24-105mm @ 85mm, 1/320, f/16, iso 125

Any comments are appreciated.

Something went wrong. You need to upload your image again. Edit it and upload a new image in your edit.

This is an interesting abstract Don. I love the color combination of white and yellow/brown, that is a very effective pairing. This looks like it should be something from Yellowstone instead of Death Valley. Your processing looks great, IMO you have just the right amount of contrast, and also kept the saturation restrained, which greatly helps emphasize the earth tone colors. Lot’s of interesting details and patterns to appreciate here. I especially like the “waves” in the URC.

Very nice image Don. The movement of line from the upper left down into the complexity of the right corner is very attractive. Super job.

This is likely shot from Dante’s View. I like the patterns and colors here. I had trouble with the composition but a white frame helped a fair amount. I’m still not sure, however, on the comp, which feels a bit awkward to me. At other times the awkwardness feels kind of creative.

My reaction to this picture was much like Igor’s. For me, I think it is a question of too much of good thing. I feel like there are at least three pretty amazing abstracts in this image. What’s going on in the lower right corner is fantastic , in terms of colour and texture and could definitely stand alone. The lower left corner is also pretty amazing. And then there is the contrast between the sand and the salt. But as it is, my eye feels overwhelmed and pulled in too many directions. I want to get in closer and investigate some of these extraordinary textures and it feels a bit frustrating that I can’t. Did you get closer in any other of the frames you made on that day?

Hi Don, really interesting abstract landscape. Nothing to comment, I like the image as presented. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your comments. I tried looking at it with new eyes, but still liking the original comp. However, I did see another photograph hiding in there and made a simpler vertical, which I do like as well.

Don

1 Like

I like this more, although a square that includes all of the bottom may be even stronger. The image makes me think of those picture we get of jupiter or saturn.