San Simeon Pier at sunrise

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any, while on the central coast, we came to this location several times to shoot the sunrise. While the first day had a stunning sunrise, this day it was shrouded in fog. When I reached the end of the pier, I found the view into the fog intriguing. While we did not get the sunrise we desired, we were pleased with the outcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon Z-7 Nikkor 24-70 24mm. 1/250. f/8. ISO 160

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Really good take on the pier. I love the light and fog and the mood they create.

I am going to move this over to non-nature due to the predominance of the hand of man.

BTW, what do you think of the Z7 and the 24-70 4.0? I got the chance to hold that combo and really liked the feel, but I have never used one.

I like the blue / yellow contrast on this image as we have discussed. Strong leading line from the pier leads to a nice vanishing point.

I’m the one who suggested Patrick put this image in Landscape as my understanding was hand of man was not as strict as it was in NPN1, Sorry Patrick.

I like the Z-7 and 24-70 a lot. Still shoot with the D850 too. The size, weight and general feel of the Z is wonderful. Since the firmware update it does a lot better in low light, which it did not in the beginning. Come shoot here and you can use mine. Suspect you will like it.

I am good where ever it lands if someone wants it. I am re-learning NPN and am sure I will stub my toe often until I get back into the swing. :sunglasses:

Patrick, good to see you posting again. This is a fine image with loads of interest. I love early morning scenes like this while out and around the water, just taking it all in if nothing else. Also reminds me of mornings at Bosque del Apache.

For me the misty right hand portion and the strong vanishing point of the pier offer the main strengths here. That LH corner of the pier makes for an interesting addition in the frame. This may well be just me, but seems that including a little more of that corner could work well. It also could be a good thing by panning left to show a little more of the far LH trees, assuming of course there are no visual hiccups over there.