Sand dunes at twilight

This was taken during twilight on a recent death valley trip. This shot wasn’t planned out but the way the light was hitting the dunes caught my eye and I took a couple of quick shots! This ended up being one of my favorites. I’m worried the highlight in the center is a bit of an eye sore though… What do you all think?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’d like feedback on the composition and colors of the image/overall processing so far.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
8 Likes

Stefanie, this is magnificent. On the contrary, the lighlights and variation in light values make this even stronger. The plants work well to give it variety. It’s something you should be proud of.

1 Like

Stefanie, I really love the lighting and the direction you took this scene in post. The cool grey and blue tones work very nicely with the sage vegetation. I do like the blue tones but I personally might prefer a touch less in a few of the darker shadow areas. The only nit for me on the composition, I would either crop or remove the patch of grass on the right edge of the frame. The sage are really an interesting focal point and composing them as you have is very well done!

1 Like

Beautiful shot, Stefanie! Great editing and I don’t find the brighter patch to be distracting. The thing my eye kept getting dragged to was the darker negative space at the bottom. I think you could crop this down a bit and keep the 3x2 ratio, or go panoramic with a 16x9. I feel like either one can eliminate a bit of that space at the bottom and make the composition feel a bit more balanced from top to bottom.

2 Likes

You could also simplify this in the following manner. You would need to still deal with the urc.

2 Likes

Great mood here. I like the silvery colours.

As well as Igor’s crop you could make an abstract out of the top. Pretty much what he cropped out looks good in its own right.

Lots to like about this image

1 Like

This is simply elegant Stefanie, a very powerful image. Those blue tones are quite beautiful. Really outstanding work on your part. I do like what @Kevin_D_Jordan has done with the bottom of the image, to tame those darker tones, it takes a great image to an outstanding one.

1 Like

This is a really clean photo Stefanie, and I really like how dimensional the light is. It makes those dunes really pop off the page. I could see how toning down the bright spot above the bushes might take a bit of emphasis off that area and more onto the bushes, which would be a good thing. I also see the case for cropping a bit off the bottom as others have suggested, but perhaps all you need to do is burn the bottom just a bit to draw the eye into the scene. The negative space down there is kind of nice because it gives the composition a really nice sense of calm, and the aspect ratio is quite nice as is.

1 Like

Stephanie,

OH My, this is outstanding! The light is sublime and dreamy. Of course we see a lot of dune images (understanding why…) and I find this one to be unique, engaging and just downright awesome. Unique for a couple reasons. One, the WB is more neutral if not cool, which is the opposite of so many with classic warm tones. Also, having the vegetation is the main focal point is a bit unique; ok, well not really unique, plants are often used as subjects and focal points in a sea of sand… but this grouping you have hear really anchor the scene. Of course the star of the show is the dappled light.

I’m tempted to suggest leaving just as you presented. Of course, there are always small tweaks to improve things. I would agree burning the bottom a smidge rather than cropping; it’s like the plants are emerging from unknown depths as there is sparse detail and extra space at the bottom. I’m torn, but will suggest a CA clone of the small patch of vegetation along the right edge. Not a deal breaker, but crossed my mind after seeing Kevin’s crop.

Just love this image.

Lon

1 Like

Stefani, beautiful and wonderfully done. Except for the little triangle on the UR corner, I really like Igor’s crop.

1 Like

Wowzers!! This is quite exceptional. The light grading and tonality is superb, You have controlled all the elements really nicely. My only, and I mean only, suggestion is the plants on the far right. I would crop in slightly from the right or clone it out. You don’t want to crop in from the left as you will sever the point where the shadow coming from the left most plant to the edge ends and that would hurt the balance.

Really really well done!

1 Like

@Kevin_D_Jordan thanks for the crop suggestion! I think I might consider burning the bottom a little more rather than cropping it though. @Igor_Doncov I like the sage being the focal point of the image but I wouldn’t crop that much because I like the way the back dune mimics the shape of the sage and plus the nice light and dunes give the eye something more to look at.
@Ben_Horne Thank you! I did consider cropping the bottom but I think I would rather keep the aspect ratio as it is and just burn it a little more. I appreciate your feedback!
@Lon_Overacker Thank you! I tried cloning the small patch on the right of the frame but I couldn’t make it look seamless so I just left it. I might work on that part a little more to see if I can get it just right!
@Eugene_Theron Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate it!

1 Like

A most beautiful, velvety softness to the image which yet preserves some fine textures in the plants and the sand. Gorgeous image !!

1 Like

Oh my goodness, this is beautiful! I don’t have anything to add that hasn’t already been noted. Just gorgeous.

1 Like

@Ian_Wolfenden @Bonnie_Lampley Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

I love shots of heavily photographed subjects that are unique, and this is an outstanding example. This came out beautiful!

1 Like

Stefanie: I love dune shots and this one is magnificent. I especially like the WB and the color palette. Really well seen and superbly captured.>=))>

1 Like

@John_Williams I really appreciate that! Thank you! @Bill_Fach thank you so much!

Stefanie I love this image - I like the composition - finding my eye is drawn in from the ‘ridge’ on the right edge and then wondering around the ‘dales’/‘valleys’. I like the idea of darkening the bottom of the image - would provide greater emphasis to other areas of the image and I suspect may help with the feeling of depth.

1 Like

Great image! My only thought would be to remove some of the bottom, as I think it draws the eye downward, away from the more interesting areas of the photo. Even as it is a very fine photo, glad you have the eye to see this.

1 Like