Sandhill - Morning light

In general when I’m photographing Sandhill Cranes at Bosque, once the birds get up to the sky I’m done shooting that flight pass. This particular morning provided some nice light where the cranes were flying, with more shadowed light on the distant mountains, and a very dark overcast sky to the west. It made for some great opportunities.

Pertinent technical details or techniques to help others learn:

Olympus EM-1 Mark II, 300mm f/4, 1/1600 @ f/5.6, ISO 400.
Small crop from the bottom.

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
1 Like

That Bosque light. Can’t beat it. Just a warm, beautiful capture.

Well seen and presented Keith

2 Likes

Fine image of a beautiful bird in great warm light.

Great classic Bosque light, Keith. I can almost guess the backdrop :wink:

Killer light in this image, Keith! The spotlighted Crane against the darker, subdued background really gives it a 3D effect. Great exposure and detail also! Very nice shot!

The highlight on your subject is awesome. Just an FYI to anyone wondering, I was down to New Mexico last week for the holidays and planned a quick visit to Bosque. It was a epic drive down from Los Alamos on Wednesday 5 1/2 hours (normally 2 1/2 hours) but was worth it. Rainy that evening but a wonderfully cold clear calm sunrise at the crane pools Thursday morning. Also most of interest the refuge remains open. Even the north loop road was open and refuge employees were even cleaning the vault outhouses while we were there.

Sadly that has changed. The tour loop is closed with poor road conditions and due to the govt shutdown, they are not able to use the equipment to plow the roads. I was scheduled to teach there Friday thru Sunday, but that workshop was cancelled since we can’t access the refuge tour loops.

Keith,
Not surprised, never seen all of New Mexico included in some sort of winter storm warnings/watches twice within the same week. We had 18 inches of snow between Wednesday and Friday at my sons house in Los Alamos, were very fortunate to have clear weather on our drive back home over the weekend. Been getting pictures from him since yesterday of crazy amounts hitting them in the last 24 hours 24 + inches LANL has already closed for tomorrow.