Schwabacher Landing + repost

Description:

I was reminded of this old image in a discussion in @Kris_Smith’s thread of a very different landscape: An External Singularity. I love how discussions here can range free! Anyhow this was the shoot where my husband was sitting on a log behind me, immersed in his cell phone instead of the scenery – reading the WSJ.

Would love to see your shot, Kris!

Specific Feedback Requested:

All comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

From back in 2009! Canon 5D2, the old 24-70 at 38mm, f/16, 1/2 sec, ISO 100. The river was flowing so no chance for mirror reflections. A 2 frame pano. Reprocessed with the linear profile then into PS for some tonal and color work – mostly Selective Color. Colors and IQ aren’t stunning by today’s standards.

Added a repast suggested by @Adhika_Lie .

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
HMMM – is a pano a composite?

3 Likes

Gorgeous, Diane. I’ve also been to Schwabacher Landing back in 2018 (I think) and yes, my husband was also sitting in our truck doing, not sure what, napping I think. If I can find it will post it. Love the colors you’ve gotten in the mountains and the reflections in the lake. Very nicely done.

Wow, what a scene. I think the colors are stunning - really lovely. And I love the slightly irregular reflection. I think the scene wouldn’t be as interesting if the reflection were “perfect”.

Definitely one of my favorite locations. I’ve been there several times and have always had to “battle” with a wave of photographers. But one morning (a Saturday too) I had the whole place to myself. It was wonderful and I came away with one of my favorite images.

@Diane_Miller I think I know where you were for this scene. I never thought to set up there. It is a great composition with the Tetons on the left balanced but the clouds and trees on the right. Nice reflection too. I wouldn’t change a thing.

@David_Bostock, I’d (we’d all) love to see yours! I’m not good at landscapes so need lots more inspiration and education.

A classic view of the Tetons, and very well done on your part. I love the panoramic aspect ratio here, and including a lot of the shoreline on the right adds a lot to the image as a result.

My wife is not a photographer, but she enjoys nature and scenery and comes along on some of my national park photo trips. She is even willing to sometimes come out with me for sunrise or sunset. Where her patience wears a bit thin is when I stay at one spot for an hour or more waiting for the light. Luckily she is a voracious reader, and brings along a paperback for those moments of waiting. As she has said to me “I have read books in some of the most beautiful locations in the world” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I’m happy to put one up. Want it here or on a separate thread?

A lovely view and funny that I never knew it was a tripod hole until recently. We just stopped there because the park itself was closed. We could go lots of other places like Bridger-Teton (I think that’s what it’s called) and over the border to another park whose name eludes me. Anyway…there was enough beauty to go around and we were the only people in this location at the time. Pretty much the norm for the trip - after foliage but before ski season.

It 's this little place called Yellowstone… :grin:

Yeah, we did that, but that’s not what I was thinking of. Y was only open one day and so that’s all we got, but it was amazing. Oh, it was the Jedediah Smith Wilderness area and when I say border I really meant mountains since we had to go over the pass each time.

There is an even more famous tripod hole location about 100 yards further to the north, that gets even more crowded with photographers at sunrise. The last time I was at the location in Diane’s shot, I had been down shooting at the other place, and and passed by here on my way back to the car. The photographers at this spot told me a moose and calf had been in the water 15 minutes earlier.

OMG that’s so maddening. Interesting how inured to humans the animals in Teton & Yellowstone are. We had a wolf pass right by the car on the side of the road in Y. I have my one and only wolf picture from that moment and it’s only by the sheerest luck it came out.

When I post my shot I’ll include the location I think you mean, Ed. I spent a good deal of time there as well and I think there are ducks hiding in my shot.

This is the other view from further down. Most people shoot it horizontal, but I like the grass.

Yup, that’s the view, Ed. Funny. I included grasses, too, but not as many since they were flattened by what I now know are thousands of feet. Plus they were dormant since it was November.

Yes, this is a great view too and @Ed_McGuirk, you got wonderful classic lighting except for the mountains. (Although they’re good enough with ANY lighting.) Murphy follows me around to insure I never get perfect light on mountains and FG together.

This is fantastic, Dianne. I love the alpenglow on the mountains as well as the warm and cool tones in this landscape. I had to chuckle when reading about your husband sitting on the log. My wife has absolutely no interest in photography so she always brings a book with her. My only suggestion; and this is purely subjective; would be just a slight reduction in the cyan. Beautifully done!

Thanks @Ed_Lowe – I did reduce the cyan quite a bit and decided I had gone too far, so tried a middle point. I was surprised how sensitive the adjustment was, using either Hue-Sat or Selective Color. I should actually have a look at a more global WB change.

This is a very cool composition, Diane. I have never seen a composition that includes this much mountain before and this is quite an interesting take. The lit peaks are balanced really well by the grasses on the lower right corner. My only nit is that tree on the very right edge of the frame. I will consider cropping it out

@Ed_McGuirk, I think I know this location. My camera took a plunge here in 2015.

Thanks @Adhika_Lie, and good to run into you again!! Hope all is well!

I was 50-50 about the right edge, as much for the rocky slope as the tree. Here is a cropped version, warmed a bit with global color balance. Also added it at the top for comparison.

1 Like

This is a beautiful image for me. It’s a wonderful view and the feeling that comes to me while viewing it makes me love it. I enjoy the colors here too.

@Ed_McGuirk, @Harley_Goldman, @Lon_Overacker and @Eva_McDermott – many thanks for the EP!! Much appreciated, as the landscape genre is represented so robustly here.

1 Like