Scoodic at Night

Taken in August 2019 in the Schoodic Peninsula in Acadia Maine. Getting the foreground right ia always a challenge

Thanks for your generous observations @linda_mellor, @Alan_Kreyger, @Ed_McGuirk, @Dave_Douglass and @Richard_Teller
I cropped the top 10% to increase the foreground ratio a bit - just a different flavor

What technical feedback would you like if any?

WB was done using a somewhat complicated process adjusting the RGBs separately via the Tone curve

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
20secs F/1.4 iso 1600 (Sky )
60 seconds F 1.4 iso 1600 ( foreground
Blending the pines was the main challenge
I used a Sigma 20 mm 1.4 lens so that I could try a low 1600 iso

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I really like this pic. I love how the foreground is gently lit, and who doesn’t like seeing the galactic core? It’s a very vertical crop but the milky way is the star of the show. Really well done to my eye.

1 Like

No nits on this image from me. I think the foreground is lit just right. Just enough to see some detail but not so much as to detract from the over all image.

1 Like

Since I cannot see the Milky Way from where I am, this is a very envious photo. Really well done Karl. I like all of the details you captured, not only in the sky/stars but also in the foreground. I appreciate your explaining what your process was, should I ever have an opportunity to try this type of photo.

1 Like

Outstanding work on this one Karl. The colors, and contrast all look great. In Milky Way images, my personal taste is that I like to see good contrast in the core, and I think you achieved that here. The blend on the trees looks great, and that is not easy to do, your blending worked great with no halos at all. Again, it’s a matter of personal taste, but I could see a slightly lower luminosity on the land, and especially the water. Not because I think you need to do that to make it more night-time looking, but rather to place more emphasis on the core. Congrats this is one heck of a nice Milky Way image :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Karl,
I wanted to stop by since I recognized this location. I had the “pleasure” of shooting from this beautiful location with @Ed_McGuirk in February, at sunset with 15 degree F temps and winds of 20-30mph. Since it I have not worked with night photography I am not comfortable offering a technical critique. I will say the composition does a really nice job of highlighting the Milky Way and still offers enough detail in the land that it is recognizable. The sky colors and luminosity are beautiful! I can imagine this is a beautiful place to view the galaxy on a warm summer evening.

This time around I was with Ed ! We spent a few days together on the Schoodic peninsula - got some Great sunsets here too.