Scratching wood

I came upon this during a morning walk in a local wooded area. I was drawn to the cracks and patterns, and, especially, what appears to be multiple scratch marks from an animal.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is the contrast/patterns/textures enough to make this a compelling image?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Interesting photo Dean. The wood sure does have a story to tell. I imagined the scratch marks to be hesitations from a newby sawyer unsure of their chainsaw skills.

1 Like

I had not considered that, but it makes sense to me now the scratches could be human origin. Regardless of who/what made them I like the patterns.

Hopefully they are not claw marks from a grizzly bear, or if they are I hope you had bear spray with you.

The pattern is both bold and dynamic, due to all the curved diagonal lines here. And you have one dominant line in the ULC that gives your eye a place to rest. It’s an abstract pattern that has vitality from it’s implied sense of movement. I think you composed this pattern very well, my eye moves all around the image.

I think the image works well with your color pallet but with lines and textures like this, I think it would also be worth trying in B&W, for more emphasis on the patterns. I think both color and B&W work with this image.

1 Like

Thank you, Ed. Now that I see your B&W rendition I will try one out myself.