Seasonal change

Another image from my Boxing Day walk in the woods. I was caught by the contrast between the late autumn leaves/colors and the snow-cover in the depression.

Specific Feedback Requested

I like this scene and want to make the most of it. Any advice on how to post-process (or crop) the image is more than welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
1/13 f/16 ISO 800 57 mm (114 mm equiv.) handheld

Such depth and variation in color and texture! If it were mine I’d crop it just at the top of the first group of red bushes on the right. It would keep your eye on the snow in the depression. Looks like it was a good walk!

I can feel the cold as you walk down the road. It has a real sense of place for me.

Well this is a pretty neat scene Ola. I like the soft muted colors here, the winter color palette is pretty interesting. I’ve heard the advice before that a leading line should take the viewer to something interesting at the end of the line. While I’m not sure that’s the case here, this image is sort of the exception that proves the rule for me. I think the journey through the depths of the forest creates more than enough interest here, and the end of the line isn’t as important to this image.

I agree with @Kris_Smith about cropping. The dark bushes in the foreground somewhat interfere with the flow of the leading line. If this were mine, I might consider a panoramic crop, similar to this rework.

1 Like

I just made the same crop suggestion while Ed was posting it. During the rework I came to wonder what caused the yellow and magenta color in the upper center area of the road. It seems to overlap from the road to the rock wall in same area, thus making it grey higher and yellow below. It’s almost like a circle.

Lots of Christmas color in there with the white, reds, and greens. I too like the way the road leads to the distance.

@Kris_Smith , @Igor_Doncov , @Ed_McGuirk, @Bonnie_Lampley and @John_Williams thank you for your kind comments. I will go back and try a crop as proposed.