Seeing Away From the Icons

While at Hawaii’s Akaka Falls in 2016, I found the little stream that beckoned me to photograph it. After posting this, I noticed the streak of haze just above the upper water fall. I tried removing it using dehire in LR Classic, but it only partially did the job. Your comments are valued.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7000, Nikon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 lens shot at f22, 18mm, 1/8th second, ISO100

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I like the composition Larry, how the waterfall in the lower left corner invites me into the other portion of the falls. For me it creates a very intimate scene. I don’t know about “dehire in LR” but I think the photo turned out very nicely.

on enlargement, it looks almost like a reflection to left and above top fall and a smear (?) near top middle left. I have no suggestion for fixing it, but do think this is a beautifully composed image.

I like the rich greens in this image. I find the lower half far more interesting than the upper half so I would recommend a horizontal of that part of the image.

Larry, I also love the lush greens that you have in this image. The colors are strong but not over-saturated, and you have nice color separation between green and yellow too.

I don’t think that you had haze near the falls, it looks more like you maybe had had a drop of water that got smudged on the lens. In rainforests like this its an occupational hazard.

I think the composition works okay as presented, the lower falls is dominant, and you do have sort of a major/minor set of waterfalls. But I agree with @Igor_Doncov about the bottom half being stronger, because to me the most appealing aspect of this image is the color/texture/patterns in the lush vegetation. The cliff above the second falls has little vegetation on it, which is why the top half is less interesting to me.

Igor, I agree that the lower half is more interesting. I tried the crop you suggest, but somehow it does not look right. Thanks, your comment got me to really scrutinize the image.

Ed, I agree with @Igor_Doncov’s comment that the lower half is more interesting. I tried the crop you suggest, but somehow it does not look right. Thanks, your comment got me to really scrutinize the image. Thanks for weighing in on this image.