Seeking The Light

This is another from my last desert venture. The light and clouds were surreal.

1 Like

Harley, another great clouds here. The mountain revealing in that God light is so refreshing in the image. I really enjoy it.

This is pretty much perfect as is although, being partial to a more square-ish composition, I would argue that some of the left hand side can be taken off.

Harley, you are right, the light and clouds are outstanding. The layers of tone in the land add lots of interest there as well.

Of the ones you’ve recently posted, this seems the most successful to me. Black and white is a perfect choice to highlight the drama . And there is enough mass and detail in the land below to ground the image. This image reminds me, in tone and drama, of Ansel Adams famous “Moonrise Hernandez New Mexico.” Really, Harley, I love this image. I spent 15 years living in the high desert of Arizona and this picture makes me long to go back.

This image looks better to me on a white background than the default dark. Although a white frame on a black background would be best. My favorite part is the white outline behind the dark mountains. I’m not sure about the dark band at the very top. It would look better without it. I would probably just vignette the highest clouds.

A great choice for B&W. I’m enjoying your study on desert storms. I’ve never seen a storm in a desert. It’s now on my bucket list.