Selective plane of focused grasses

This is one of a series of images in which I was shooting through a stand of grasses and advancing my plane of focus through the stand - creating a new set of focused elements with each image. My goal, however, was not to stack them into a single focused image - it was to explore the effects of focus and blur with each image on the subject.

Of all of them, this was the most appealing. I rather like the effect. I’ll keep experimenting with this technique.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

NIkon D610
70-300mm @210mm
f/5.6
1/500 sec
tripod

1 Like

Matt, this is especially fascinating because I too was experimenting with shooting tall grasses from down low (this spring). I like your result better than mine. The mix of blue green and gold is very appealing, with the oof grasses both front and back adding swatches of color while the sharp bits clearly define the subject and the feeling of being down in the grass.

1 Like

The wonderful blend of details and blurs make this a fasenating photo to look at over and over Matt. Also really love the color range from golden yellow, through shades of green to the beautiful blue sky. Along with the great energy from the motion of the grasses. Great idea, nicely seen and executed. Thanks for sharing them with us.

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver, @linda_mellor, Such wonderful responses from you! Thank you for your encouragement.

I’d had my doubts about this image so I’m gratified it resonated with you. I’m also grateful for having a place like NPN to share it!

1 Like