Serenade - Evening Light on Sand Dunes

Taken a few years years ago in Death Valley National Park.

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

D610
Nikkor 70-300 AF-P
110mm
f/16
1/5

3 Likes

TJ: very nice. The larger version reveals the form and textures in the shadows.

Thank you @bob4! I paid a lot of mind to those shadow textures. I wanted them to be visible only if the image was looked at closely enough. Thanks for the compliment!

1 Like

This is a great example of a minimalist approach to photography and deserves to be included in any better books on this subject. For me it looks so feminine and almost erotic maybe because of the way the dunes curve themselves and show their secrets in the moonlight.
Thanks for sharing

Thank you @ismar! The funny thing is that this is a soft light/early evening shot and I was originally processing it in a more pastel and high key direction, but noticed a luminosity mask that really drew me in and made me change the approach in a 180˚ way.

This is fantastic! Outstanding b&w work with amazing light, shadows and texture.

Thank you @Nick_Bristol!

Wow! This is outstanding work! I love the light and shadows and then there is the wonderful textures. Love this!

1 Like

Incredible image! The strong foreground light contrasts beautifully with the dark background light and the midground textures and shapes are superb!!! This is soooo good!

1 Like

But late here YJ, but this is great. Love the flowing semi-circles!

1 Like

Beautiful image and beautifully rendered. Superb work.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words @Eugene_Theron, @David_Haynes, @Nick_Bristol, and @Graham_McArthur!

It’s one of my favorite dune images. I’m glad you also enjoy it!