Service Berry

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Service berry is one of the earliest shrubs to bloom in the Spring and this one started blooming about 2 weeks ago. I used a single diffused off camera flash to give this one some light. One of the older flowers has translucent petals and was a pleasant surprise to see.

Specific Feedback

I cropped this one for a tighter comp and edited several bokeh in the upper LH corner that tended to pull the eye away from the flowers.

Technical Details

Z9 105mm f2.8 micro (1/100 sec at f8.0, ISO 100) tripod, single off camera flash. Levels, crop for comp, Topaz DeNoise AI…Jim

1 Like

Hi Jim,

Nice framing of such a delicate looking flower!
The one petal that’s translucent is what makes it look so delicate!

A tough subject for exposure but you did very well with it. :slight_smile:

I really like how the stem is shaped with all the petals in a nice, tight cluster.
I think this is my first time seeing this particular flower.

Well done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jim, a very nice composition, I think the petals are beautifully framed and I like the leaves in and out of focus, and think they add nicely to the overall image

1 Like

I remember a friend pointing out serviceberry bushes to me in early spring and now I always look for them. Such a graceful branch you’ve showed us here. The contrast between the flowers and the unfurling leaves is really pleasing. I like the transition from crisp detail to OOF elements. I wonder if the mid-tones could use a lift. The scene feels a bit heavy and gloomy. A lovely bunch though and I’m glad you posted them.

1 Like