Serviceberry Flower

I wanted to show the delicate flower contrasting against the rough textured, weather beaten trunk. I have tried to create wabi-sabi effect by juxtaposing the flower against the rough-textured tree trunk.
For people who are not familiar with wab-sabi aesthetics, here is a short description: wabi-sabi concept comes from Zen tradition. It is to show the beauty of the imperfect, incomplete and the impermanent. I hope I have created that effect in this one.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7DII + 180/3.5 + tripod
f/22, 1/10, ISO 640
ACR, PSCC
Minimal sharpening of the flower with Topaz software

I keep coming back to this photograph, and the more I do the more I enjoy. Technically, the work is well done, and you’ve illustrated the concept well.

The more I gaze the more I feel that you would be better served by horizontal framing. The bark dominates the flower by being above. A horizontal, even a 10:6 would balance the two worlds and give them equal voice. My opinion, but there are a thousand ways to present a subject and every one of them is the perfect one.

One botanical question, if you will. What is the scientific name, and do you have any idea of the provenance of the vernacular name? Thanks in advance.

Paul, Thanks for your comments. The original capture was horizontal and I didn’t like the horizontal frame, so I rotated it to vertical. I see your point - the imbalance with predominance of the trunk. So, here is the cropped version.
Service berry trees are also called June berry tree: Amelanchier in the Rosaceae family. There are several varieties of trees and the species name depends on the variety. The berries are sweet and delicious. I have this tree in my front yard. My kids munch on the berries during the summer.

Ravi, Thanks for the response. The reason I asked about the name serviceberry was that it is so different from the Amelanchier we have eastern US. I suspect that the species photographed is a cultivar, but the native Amelanchier arborea is common. It’s typical that the petals of the flowers are recurved. Is your photo of a native western species?

I think it is Amelanchier aroborea which is more common in Wisconsin.

To be honest I have never seen this flower. Unusual subject with interesting presentation. I like that you used the bark as a subtle textured background.

Paul, After looking at the tree again, I think I got the ID wrong. The Serviceberry tree is right next to another tree, from which I took the image of the flower. I think this may be a variety of Crbbapple , or something similar.

1 Like