Sessile Trillium (Trillium chloropetalum)

I’ve posted shots of this species in the past, because it is absolutely one of my favorite flowers to photograph (and one of the hardest). We’re at about the northern extent of it’s range and it just extends down through the Willamette valley in Oregon, however, I know an area within walking distance where they grow and I can get there without worrying about social distancing. It likes moist Garry Oak woodlands and blooms along with the normal Trillium ovatum. For reference, these flowers are fully open.

I’m also posting a 9 or 10 shot stack to show what the entire flower/leaf structure looks like, but I really prefer the small depth of field interpretation of the first image.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I’m particularly interested in the composition. I did just a small crop and a bit of rotation and just slightly burned the echo bloom because I thought it was attracting too much attention in my original.

And the stack:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5DIII, 100 mm f/2.8 macro, tripod, f/3.5, 1/500, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5304x3432. Taken at 9:16 am on April 14th.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Dennis, this is a real treat. I do like the first one with the shallow DOF best, but do appreciate you going to the trouble to stack it so that folks like me from the east coast who have never seen this flower, can see what it looks like. I also appreciate you telling us that it is in full bloom. I would have thought that it was just opening up. Great shot for sure, of this interesting flower.

Absolutely love the composition. The rule of thirds applies perfectly to this image and it WORKS! Bottom third and left third of the image for the in focus flower and upper third and right third of frame for the OOF flower in the background. The shallow depth of field works it’s magic here showcasing the in focus flower but letting you know there are more in the forest with the OOF flower. I really don’t think you could have positioned these 2 flowers any better. I love the soft light with no harsh highlights and I’m getting just enough of the leaf in focus to see it’s structure. Very dreamy looking. Beautiful flower. I don’t think I’ve even seen one. Lucky that you get to get out Dennis!

They are both nice images, Dennis, but I am with you in liking the first better. Your composition is excellent, and the sense of the environment makes the image all the more enticing for me. Beautifully done !!

Dennis: both photos are excellent, but the first is special. I really like the composition with the near flower in focus and the rear flower oof. The two flowers form a diagonal and are positioned on the rule of thirds intersections. In addition the overall green tones in the scene really serve to highlight the whites of the flowers. Richard

Dennis: The stack is a nice documentary image but the single exposure is a work of art. Really good DOF/POF decision. We do not have trillium in our part of the world so I can only experience them through images like yours. Superbly crafted image.>=))>

Well done, Dennis. I’m in agreement with the others that the shallower depth of field is more pleasing. I wonder if you have a version of that which includes the full leaf on the left side. Also, it looks like what is in sharp focus extends slightly behind the blossom, as the rear edge of the leaves is sharp. Ideally, I would like to have that front sepal in focus and let the trailing leaf edges go soft. But those are just minor nits. Overall this is an excellent photo and the secondary trillium in the background really adds to the impact.

i’ll also echo the other’s comments, Dennis. Nicely done.

Love your first image, Dennis. The comp is superb and it was a good idea to burn down the background flower so as not to compete. Really sweet image, with just the right amount of dreaminess for my taste.