Shall We Dance?

Description: Two coastal brown bears playing on the beach together.

Specific Feedback Requested: Interested in thoughts on overall cropping on this.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

Not a Composite. I found these two bears playing in the Cook Inlet at Lake Clark NP. They were wrestling on the beach and in the water. The action was very fast so I went from 1/2000th to 1/4000th to make sure I caught sharp images. This was one of my favorites with the pose, water coming off both coats and the foot position on the bear on the right.
Nikon Z6 II with Nikon 200-500. ISO 2000, F8, 1/4000th.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

3 Likes

It’s raining bears :heavy_heart_exclamation:
It’s a killer frame! The incoming wave is adding to the action.

Cheers !!!

PS. You may crop off slight canvas on the RHS just after bear’s shadow, but it works well this way too.

Wow! This is so awesome, Andrew! I’m loving all your bears!

Excellent catch, Andrew. Everything comes together perfectly. Congratulations.

This is my favorite of your Brown Bear photos, Andrew. That’s because I’m a sucker for great color and sharp details. I’m glad you stepped up the shutter speed and stopped the action. I love the flying water droplets and the detail & textures of their fur. This is a good composition and you caught the surf in just the right position. I agree with Jagdeep that a slight crop on the right would make it a little bit better. Since the bears are facing each other their is no particular direction that would drive a 2/3 type of composition so centering would actually provide the best balance for this scene.