Sharp-shinned Hawk

Description: Sitting in the bare branches of an oak tree.

Specific Feedback Requested: I had never posted this photo because the bird had a branch crossing over his head just above the eye, which I removed. Are any abnormalities evident?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM zoom, f/8, 1/750 sec., ISO 800, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure, cropping, and removal of some branches. Topaz De-noise applied.

Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

Hi Terry
When I enlarge the photograph and looked for the branch, I could see where you removed the it. Having said that, I had to know what you did and look for it. The Hark looks great. The framing, eye contact, head turn and color produce a vary nice photo.
Peter

1 Like

Hi, Peter. Thanks for looking and commenting. I spent quite a bit of time making micro adjustments to remove that branch. Normally, I wouldn’t have done that but I like the photo so well otherwise. It helps to get another set of eyes on it.

Very cool capture of a… juvenile Sharp-shinned, I think. I cannot detect any photoshopping on its head. A real keeper!

Hi,

There’s a few artifacts that reveal the edits. Careful cloning is tough to do. You can do a selection for the hawk and then inverse to make the BG active. If you search in the old NPN for my bittersweet image, the moderator provided an elaborate, but highly effective technique for cleaning up backgrounds without harming the image subject. The hawk is gorgeous and your comp is very nice. Well done…Jim

Not much evidence of manipulation on the head itself, Terry. Just one spec of brown on the right where the branch left. I do see places in the background that you didn’t completely erase. The area where you cut the branch off is pretty obvious. In a case like this, I’d remove the whole thing. It’s actually pretty straightforward to clone over the area where it crosses the other branch. This reminds me of my first Avian post quite a few years ago. It was a White-crowned Sparrow with three or four twigs crossing it. I think I finally got good enough to try removing them about five years later.

Wow! @Dennis_Plank is good! I wouldn’t have noticed any of that unless you mentioned and then he pointed out all that you missed! My eyes were just on the hawk which you captured amazingly, in spite of the branch!

Nice job on the processing. I agree with Dennis about the rest of the branch removal. Excellent pose and head turn.

@Dave_Douglass @Jim_Zablotny @Dennis_Plank @Vanessa_Hill @David_Schoen Thanks, everyone for looking and for your comments. I’ll do a little more cleanup on him.

Yes, a little more cleanup and get rid of the rest of the branch and you have a very nice image! A good shot is always worth some work.

1 Like

Hi Terry, Could not pass up this post without mentioning how beautiful this photo is and no need for me to repeat previous cleanup comments. Great shot.

1 Like

Hi, Wayne. Thanks very much. Wish he had been more in the open, but that’s wildlife!