Shiprock, NM

I would love any help you may be able to provide since I am fairly new to photo editing. This shot was from a trip with the Kingham’s to Bisti Wilderness and Shiprock, NM. It was taken with a Nikon D850 and a Sigma 14mm F1.8 lens. GREAT LENS! The foreground was F2, ISO 2500, 63 seconds. The sky was F2, ISO 5000, 8 Seconds. The light source was from the nearby town of shiprock, NM. I lucked out on this shot. The composition I like. I have struggled with the monochromatic color of the foreground. Any suggestions on how to improve are welcome.

2 Likes

I’m not much of a photo editor myself, so I can’t offer any tips on post.I like the image with the curving road leading to the rock formation and the comp looks good to my eye. I would suggest darkening Shiprock and the FG some to bring it more in line with the night sky.:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Hi Bill I really like this. The simple colour pallete works well. The only thing I’d suggest is brightening/pulling back some detail from the shadows of the clouds on the left to balance it out with the lighter right hand side.

1 Like

This is quite nice. The foreground looks good to me. I might further emphasize the mixed light on the rock wall, adding some contrast by bringing up the high values in the darker areas of Shiprock.

1 Like

I will give it a try Michael. Thank you.

There is little information in the left side shadows. I will work on it though. Thanks!

1 Like

When I shot this the mountain was pitch black. The shadows have little detail. But I will work on it and see if I can do as you suggest Harley. Thanks much.

Hi Bill,

Honestly, I don’t think I would change a thing. The lighting and colors as is give an incredible sense of mystery to this image. I think you nailed it.

1 Like

Bill,

Welcome to NPN and Woah! What an outstanding first post. I think this is unique and amazing as posted.

For me, I think that’s one of the big, redeeming features of this image. I could have sworn I read you mentioning the light source, but maybe that was someone else’s post. I find the mono-chromatic color unique - almost mysterious, adding to and complimenting the light on the rock. The clouds and night sky? Awesome.

Love this. Can’t wait to see more.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks to each of you for your comments and encouragement. Each comment is valid and I think I will experiment with versions just for fun. Something about this composition seems to stop people. I wish I could say that all of my photography was like this. It isn’t. But this sets a high water mark and now my job is to exceed this. David and Jen Kingham are responsible for the composition. Without them I would not have found this place and this unique POV.

I don’t do much in the way of landscapes, so I don’t have any suggestions. Just wanted to compliment you on what I think is a great image. The way the clouds break over Shiprock with the stars is very dramatic.

1 Like

This is a really cool image, Bill. I don’t see any issues with the color or lack thereof in the foreground and would keep that area as is.

My only suggestion is to maybe darken the land and shrubs to the left of the road. It seems a little hot to my eyes, especially with the light coming from the right of the frame.

But even as it is it’s a great shot.

1 Like

I agree Thorsten. TY!

Fantastic image, Bill. Nothing new from me, but I do agree with Thorsten on the darkening of the land left of the road and also with Michael on darkening the right sky a bit. Be careful not to overdo though, it just needs a LITTLE tweaking.

1 Like