Shooting far away places from my own back yard

IC 5070 - the Pelican Nebula, 1800 Light Years from Earth

NGC 6888 - the Crescent Nebula, 5000 light years from Earth

Last year as part of a big of a photography gear buying splurge I picked up a tracking mount and telescope to augment my wide-field astrophotography options. I didn’t get to use it much due to travel and shooting landscapes, but as the world was turned on its ear a couple months ago, I decided to dive back into learning the ins-and-outs of deep sky astrophotography. It’s an entirely different universe, quite literally at times, from shooting and processing landscapes. Each of these shots are a combination of dozens of 5 minute exposures, and I really need to get at least 2 or 3 more full nights of exposures to add into what I’ve already captured to bring out more detail and color. With the addition of narrow-band filters and a dedicated monochrome astrophotography camera instead of my Canon DSLR bodies that I use for landscapes, I’m able to negate much of the effects of light pollution, however create a whole lot more work for myself when editing.

2 Likes

Man, these are stunning. All the work you put into creating these images really paid off. Just gorgeous and beautiful. Makes me appreciate the vast universe.

Awesome shots Jon - well done!

Beautiful and fascinating images!

Stunning images, I’ve nothing but admiration and it’s only a lack of skill and dedication that stops me trying :slight_smile: