Silver and Cinnamon Red Fox Kits

The last few years I’ve been photographing some red foxes here in western Washington which have provided some wonderful moments in front of the lens. Last year was an exception, of course, due to COVID, and there was actually a question as to whether the foxes would still be around this year. The lack of human activity last year emboldened the local Bald Eagles, which killed off all the fox kits, and disease struck the rabbit population which provides their main source of food.

I was heartened to hear that there were kits again this spring, but wasn’t sure if I’d make a trip out to see them in the midst of a busy schedule… until I saw some photos of a “cinnamon” phase kit. The foxes here are known for their colors. I’ve photographed red, silver (black), and pearl (gray) foxes in past years… but had never seen a brown one. So I just had to get out there!

Fortunately, this remarkable little brown fox was still around, part of a mixed litter with a silver and red kit. Conditions were often challenging—the dip in the rabbit population may have led to some denser vegetation—but we eventually got some clear views of them. I was happy that I was able to carve out the time to visit!

Canon R5
Canon 600mm + 1.4x
ISO 1000
1/1000th
f/5.6

Max

@maxwaughphoto
2 Likes

Wonderful capture, Max. Looks like these two little fellows are having a grand time. Lovely detail in the foxes and the OOF background really helps the focus on the kits. Nicely done.

1 Like

What a fantastic action shot, Max. And to have a new phase to add to your portfolio. Nice. Funny how an apex predator (and I think eagles and humans count) changes everything in the environment.

And a tidbit - Wisconsin used to be a major fox ranching state. I believe the natural silver variety produced by red foxes was encouraged here by some ranchers and it became de rigeur for the fashion set about 100 years ago. As recently as the early 2000s a fox and mink ranch near me was still operational. Mink only ranches are still nearby as well, but they may also produce fox.

1 Like

Kristen, it is thought that the coloration in these wild foxes descends from a population released after the demise of the fur trade. Frankly, it’s the only thing that makes sense to me… these are not “cross foxes” like you find elsewhere in western states, which sport a dappled mix of black, gray, and red fur in varied ratios.

Great interaction and the fox with brown color is an interesting addition!

1 Like

Fantastic shot, you really caught the action. One thing that caught my eye is the brightness of the background. For me it might give a bit more feel of the environment if it were toned down a bit or if a vignette were added.

Really nice shot of these kits at play, and the color variations are interesting. Great detail and a nice background. Fine work.

Hi Max,

So who won in this battle of the kits? Action is optimal and the soft features of the BG allow the foxes to be on the center stage. Looks good and no nits from me!..Jim

1 Like

Hi Max, I really love this photo and the playfulness of foxes that you captured! They look so happy and carefree! So if I understand right, these are actually Red Foxes but just a different color variety? I had no idea they came in different colors! I’ve only seen the classic Red Fox. And just recently I’ve seen some Gray Foxes which seem smaller than the red and they don’t have the bushy distinct tail.

1 Like

Jim, the brown one seemed to be the most aggressive kit in this trio, not only harassing its siblings, but it was also the most physical with the adults when they came in.

1 Like

There’s always a more feisty one among sibs!

1 Like

Vanessa, these are indeed color morphs of the red fox (Vulpes vulpes). The white tail tip is sort of a giveaway. You find the “silver” (black fur) morph elsewhere in North America. I’ve seen photos from the eastern US and Canada, as well as Colorado and BC.

That’s different from what we call “cross foxes,” which I’ve photographed in the western US (both the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem and Mt. Rainier). Those are also red foxes, but you often have patchy colors of darker fur—black or gray—mixed with orange. Some of them look almost fully black with a bit of orange peeking through, while others have a lot more gray and orange mixed in. Here’s an example of a young cross fox photographed in the Grand Tetons:

Cross foxes derive their name from the black cross that often shows up running down their back and across the shoulders when they’re young.

Because of the wide range of solid colors—brown, black, medium gray—that appears in the Washington foxes, I do think there’s credence to the thought that they descend from animals raised for fur decades ago.

I’ve never seen a North American gray fox, by the way (only the South American gray, which looks akin to a miniature coyote). That and the swift fox are high on my wish list!

Just as cute as can be and a great capture of them, Max! Glad you had the opportunity despite the poor population situation!

1 Like