Sisyrinchium (I love that name) aka Blue-eyed Grass

These flowers are attached to a blade like stem by a very fine segment so they blow easily in the wind and give the appearance of floating in the air. In this case, I chose to just eliminate the stem and go for the flower alone (in processing-no flowers were harmed). This is an 18 image stack. It probably didn’t need to be that much, but that’s how it came out. Color balance was tricky because I was using a green umbrella to block the wind. However, this is pretty true to life.

It’s best to look for these in the afternoon as they tend to open when things warm up. they just look like fine blue pennants before then.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I did clean up a few blemishes on the petals using the patch tool and just a bit of cloning in one place where the edge was a bit messy.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does this composition work?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIII, EF180 f/3.5 macro, tripod, 18 images at f/8, 1/2500, iso 1600, manual exposure. Stacking in Helicon Focus. Additional processing in LR & PS CC. Cropped from the horizontal to 4602x3612. Taken yesterday at 1:03 pm under mostly cloudy skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Beautifully captured… larry

Beautifully done Dennis. I love that you chose to shoot overhead and eliminate the stem. Helps me to just focus on the little flower. Color, clarity/detail and background are outstanding.

Hi Dennis,

Your stack looks good. Texture of the petals is excellent. There might be a little color bleed of the yellowsd into the blue around the center of the flower. Hard to tell and if that’s the way the flower looked naturally then disregard. Otherwise an awesome portrayal of this member of the iris family…Jim

Dennis ;
Very nice capture of this flower. The OOF BG is superb! Kudos on doing a stack on a flower that blows around a lot!

Love your presentation of this blue-eyed grass. Excellent image!