Slot Canyon Magic

I finally have some time to work on some images and I am glad I made the time to do it. Thanks @Igor_Doncov for the nudge!

This is an image from Zion I made last Fall. I am glad I was able to do that trip with all the craziness that was happening then. It kept me sane for a while. I am looking forward to all kinds of feedback that come to your mind. Thank you in advance.

D750, 78mm, f/18, 1/4, ISO 50.

@adhikalie

6 Likes

A very soft and gentle interpretation of a classic Zion autumn scene. I like the tight framing on the tree, it keeps things simpler and cleaner, while leaving enough of the canyon walls to show the reflected light and textures of the stone. I also like the subtle blue tones in the stones at the bottom. Overall this is a very enjoyable image, well done Adhika.

My only suggestion is a very subjective one. I might consider tweaking the green leaves to create more color separation between green and yellow. I would do a PS selective color adjustment to green, adding cyan, and reducing yellow. This would make the greens cooler, and a greener green. I think would add more texture in the leaves, and the greener green would contrast nicely with the red colors in the stone.

Think of it like using Photoshop to move the leaves backwards in time a week, to an earlier stage of foliage turning.

Adhika, it’s wonderful to run into you again! I think it was you who turned me on to this place, and I have found it to be a great place to hang out!

I think @Ed_McGuirk’s suggestion is worth a look. I love the stones leading up to the tree, but wonder about having more canvas above and right – it looks like the rock detail there could balance the tree and move it slightly off-center. I also wonder about a B/W version for this.

I hope I get to see more of your landscapes – I’ve been missing them!

Great Zion scene. I like how you’ve left the canyon floor to lead us into the scene. I think @Ed_McGuirk makes an excellent suggestion about the color of the leaves.

I am so looking forward to visiting Zion. For some reason I’m not as excited with the very bottom of the scene. Bot the tree and the canyon walls are more vibrant in the upper half. I would try a crop of the upper half. Basically, this idea:

Adhika, here is a rework with what I was thinking about direction-ally with the greens. I may have gone a bit to far with it here though after seeing posted on a dark background.

3 Likes

Thank you very much, @Ed_McGuirk , @Diane_Miller, @Igor_Doncov , and @Michael_Lowe.

I enjoy reading how different parts of the image appeal to different people. I think it is a good thing.

I like this direction, Ed and seeing your rework convinces me. I am going to play with this a bit more. Thanks for the suggestion!

Diane, glad to hear that you like this place! I have been busy but I hope to spend more time here again.

I suppose I am really bad at this because I played with the sliders and could not settle my mind on a set of hues that I like. Somewhat a related conundrum to the rhododendron image… @Ed_McGuirk