Slush Sloshing

There’s actually two early signs of Spring in this photo. One is the slush on the pond which means it’s warm enough (at least during the days) to thaw the snow cover on the ponds and lakes and the other is the Trumpeter Swan. They show up way before the Robins at Valdez but they’re not as pretty as they will be later in the year after their molt.

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 297 mm, ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/1250, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Looks like his (her) feet are cold! At least mine would be. The color seem perfectly fit for a spring thaw. Great photo Gary.

The warm light on the swan really makes it pop against the cold gray of the slush, Gary. Great pose. It feels just a bit tight on the top to me.

Gary, the muddy head/neck and belly say a lot about this swan’s feeding habits. Love how big the feet look, that’s so well show by the raised foot. It hit 70 here on Monday and the early spring frogs were singing. It’s cooled off and they are hiding, so I don’t think I’ll get any singing frog pics this week.

Hi Gary, you caught him in a handsome pose even if he isn’t so attractive at this time. The lighting is really pleasing in this photo and I’m thinking its early or late day due to the warm colors. A little surprised he’s there with no open water as yet. Nicely done!