Small Canyons, Laguna Beach, CA at Sunrise. B&W vs. Color

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything, just want to improve.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I struggled with the crop on this image a lot as well whether It’s stronger in color or black and white. I want to use the color version because i shot it the instant the dawn light hit, but I’m not sure if it’s the right way to go.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@hlbphoto

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Heath, first I want to disclose I do not shoot a lot of macros but I saw your wonderful image and decided to offer my 2 cents. I am a fan of B&W but I do prefer the color version of this scene. For me it adds depth and the way you have handled the processing in the color version gives it greater texture.
I do like the composition, the whole upward diagonal flow of the image is quite pleasing to my eye.

Thanks for sharing this one, well done!

1 Like

Hi Alan, thanks so much for your kind words and your feedback. Both are truly appreciated.

This is wonderful, Heath. I live in LA and I have been to Laguna Beach so many times but passed on this kind of scenes very often. Kudos to you for working this scene. Except for the rock on the left hand side, there is almost an aerial feeling to it. I also prefer the color version for the added perception of depth. I think the image could benefit from a touch more contrast and burning from the left hand side. The rocks especially on the LL corner are strong elements that pull away from the more delicate “canyons”.

1 Like

Very cool image, Heath. I had the same reaction, as @Adhika_Lie. I could have sworn it was an aerial until I read the description. Both are quite nice. I tend to lean toward the color, mainly because of the nice bronze tones in the sand. Good eye for spotting this little scene.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback and kind words, I’m already experimenting with burning out the left side a bit and you’re right, it does help.

If you guys are interested, here’s what my setup looked like:

2 Likes

Thanks Bill! Definitely appreciate the feedback.

Heath, that’s an excellent setup that I’ll have to try. The use of a Nalgene bottle as a counterweight is great. I shoot shore birds quite often on the beach, and I run across interesting sand patterns, so I’ll try this next time the birds aren’t cooperating.

BTW, if your tripod feet sink into the soft sand, you may want to try something I use on one of my tripods. With a total weight of 8 pounds or more, I have a set of tennis balls to keep the rig from sinking. For a couple of dollars a set of three are great beachwear. Cut a slit into the ball just long enough to push onto the tripod foot.

2 Likes

Thanks Bill, and fantastic suggestion. I’ll be trying that out!

I prefer the color image as you have interesting color in the rocks and the sand is an attractive color. Re crops, I generally prefer a 4x5 crop vs a 2x3 on verticals unless I’m after a pano effect. Very nice image.

1 Like

I really love this shot and prefer the color version. I love how this seems like it was shot from a drone too, that’s really interesting to me. I really have nothing to add in terms of advice though, sorry! =)

1 Like

Cheers @Craig_Marvil, thank you.

Thanks very much @Matt_Payne!

1 Like

Heath: Color for me hands down! I love that the scale is not evident and for me the color brings out the texture better. Really well seen and captured. >=))>

1 Like

I’m offering up another vote for the color image. However, I think if you darkened the black-and-white image and had some more contrast it would be equally as effective. I also agree this looks like an aerial view with the exception of the rock. One of my favorite things to do is look out the window of a plane when flying over the desert Southwest or other similar locations. Like yourself, I have also appreciated the micro Canyon environment.

1 Like

Thank you @Bill_Fach!

Thanks for the feedback @David_Schoen. I’m with you, always go for the window seat.

The color image works very well for me, A horizontal crop …may be …

Balan Vinod

1 Like

Heath, I like both versions, although the morning light is seen much better in the color version. To me, the title points the way to the actual subject and the b/w doesn’t. However the b/w version as a stand alone, with the appropriate darkening that David mentioned, would be quite good if the subject description would perhaps be something besides morning light. As a dual comparison, the two together are really apples and oranges.

1 Like

Heath, your “view from space” look works very well. The textures in the eroded sand contrast very well with the rocks. I much prefer the color version with the blue tones in the rocks.

1 Like