Snow Pillow

Boulders covered in fresh snow not long after a winter storm.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything that comes to mind. Feedback on composition, texture and contrast is appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

nathankleinphotos
2 Likes

I am really enjoying the gentle look to the snow and the lines and depth of the mounds. I find myself getting pulled toward the dark little valley toward the back, left of of center. I might try to bring up the darker tones in that area and see how it changes things. Nice little small scene.

I like how you composed the shot as the shapes formed by the snow align perfectly on a diagonal crescendo leading the eye thru the image.
And i’m with Harley on raising the darker tones, giving it a high key and ethereal feel can add to the softness of the scene.
Gorgeous image, thanks for sharing.

The repeating curves in this photo are wonderful. The tonal contrast between the layers gives good separation.

Reminds me of body parts. Or clouds.

I find this image quite intriguing @Nathan_Klein, I like the way the alternating areas of light and dark draw you through image. I like the way it has been processed too. Im not sure about brightening the shadows, but certainly doing some work to soften them would give you a more gentle result.

I have to be honest and say that im struggling with the compostion a bit. I love the lower half and the right half of the image. Its calm and it flows. The dark area just left of center at the top doesn’t fit for me. As on it’s own, its more dominant than any other area of the image it sticks out and detracts from the rest of the shot. If you cover the left to between a third to a half you get this beautiful rolling effect of the snow features - more flow I guess. Something to this effect…

Nathan, I like this image as presented, both processing and composition. I would not raise the shadows, for me they are what makes this image work, lending more of a winter feeling. No nits from me, I think this image is a great abstract as presented.

@Harley_Goldman @João_Ferrão @Chris_Baird @Igor_Doncov @Eugene_Theron @Ed_McGuirk Thanks for your insights on this one. Much appreciated.

I like the light and textures and shapes. The diagonal-ness of the comp was a good choice. Too bad there wasn’t a bit of s smoother transition between the two background boulders, but this is minor. It’s a nice peaceful scene.

1 Like

I definitely like this as presented, but Eugene’s crop is also a striking composition.

1 Like

This is a really nice image Nathan… Minimalism and form in all it’s glory… I really love the variations in shadow and light, the gentle curves, and the texture of the snow. I know that this is the critique section, but I would not really change a thing :slight_smile: Kudos :clap:

1 Like

I like this as is. I like the diagonals, and the abstractness of it. I do these snow bump photos, and I know it’s hard to get the composition that you really like. This is good. Well done.

1 Like