Snowy Egret Fishing

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any suggestions or critiques are appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any suggestions or critiques are appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Taken with Nikon 850, Nikkor 500 f/5.6
Taken at f/5.6, ISO 500 at 1/3200 sec

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

1 Like

Oh wow, you caught him doing a headstand, Cheryl. Perfect timing. On my screen it is showing just a tad dark, making the whites more yellow in appearance (could be the sweet light though). I love that you captured a sharp reflection of the eye. If you cropped this (not sure if you did), I would give him a touch more room at the top, and include all of his reflection if you have it. Still a great shot as it is presented, in my opinion.

Shirley, thanks for sharing your thoughts. You are a gem. I will repost, taking your suggestions into consideration. I do have some room at the top, and to the right ( the original crop was a landscape) but very little additional reflection at the bottom. The light was really warm that morning, but I can change the temp slightly to see if it looks a bit brighter, and maybe a bit more selective exposure.

Cheryl

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

1 Like

Hi Cheryl, very nice catch of the egret. A great pose and view of the golden slippers. I agree with Shirley’s comments. If you do not have more room on bottom, I could see trying more of a crop from there leaving just the reflecting head, neck, and legs. Nice capture.

1 Like

Beautiful, Cheryl. Your timing was incredible. I don’t mind the color balance in the whites. It’s what was there I suspect and I don’t see a need to make them fit an arbitrary definition of white. I do agree that some off the bottom and some added to the top would be a compositional improvement.