Some Tomfoolery

This is one of a whole flock of tom turkeys I came upon this morning that were messing around in a ranch driveway. I never cease to be amazed at how they can completely transform from a clunky looking bird into a work of art!

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/1000th, f 8.0, 480mm, hand held, cropped to 4362 x 3261, AI Clear

2 Likes

That’s certainly what this one is, and well-captured, with every feather sharp. I’ve heard they can be dangerous, but I’ve never been able to get close enough to one to find out.

Thanks, Diane. A buddy of mine just told that he got chased into his car by a rude tom just yesterday. Not before he got some swell shots of him, though.

They can be more than rude. They have spurs on their heels that are said to be able to do real damage.

Hi Dave, I really like the feather detail and the colors also. The side angle shows all the interesting feather patterns quite well.

I also love turkeys. They should be our national bird! IQ is very nice. Love the strutting pose. Ideally, the bird would be angled a bit more toward you. And, as a personal preference, I try to avoid the hand-of-man in my photos.