Somersby Skies & fall

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I’d love some feedback regarding general composition, colour etc - I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do to the foreground like bringing in blues to push the eye up to the sky

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

go for it

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Single shot at 1sec with a 6stop ND on moved into lightroom then photoshop for basic dodge and burning/lighting adjustments

The colors are spot on I think. Any time I try to inject too much blue hues into water to try to override browns it never works out well. I’d actually go the other way just a little and enhance the warm tones in the water just at the top of the falls that are being hit by the sunlight. I would consider cropping some of the space at the top. The blown-sky works in minimal amounts, but this feels a bit too much leaving the eye hunting for detail up there instead of staying with the falls.

Hi @dalegphoto,

Very relaxing and interesting image, those diagonal lines make a great composition. The shutter speed is spot on also, those water lines suite the mood ofmthe image just perfectly.
The only thing i would change is the overexposed sky, maybe try a more downwards POV and composition to crop it.
Its still a great serere image with some lovely tones and light.
Thanks for sharing,
Cheers

1 Like

Great angle for these impressive falls, full of nice lines! I might try to add a touch of blue to the shadows in the fg. I like the shutterspeed for the water, maybe in the brightest parts some more details can be added from the raw file. The overexposed sky is a bit too bright for my taste, but I like the light at the edge of the water.

1 Like

Great image! The point of view is fantastic- that pool of water in the foreground and those falls that lead the eye all of the way up the image- really nice stuff. And you captured just the right amount of blur in the water. My only technical concern is the over-exposed sky. The dynamic range of this scene is very high, so perhaps a stronger ND filter and less exposure compensation was required- even at the risk of dark shadows (these can be lightened in post-processing.) Nonetheless this is a shot with great composition.

1 Like

Dale,
The lower POV does a nice job of showcasing the tiers of this lovely waterfall and I like your chosen SS and the way it has rendered the water flow. I personally would not try to add any blue to the water as the colors in this beautiful scene look very natural. The overexposed sky is a bit of an eye magnet so I would crop part of that off. I would also clone out that rock jutting in from the right side. Just suggestions of course. I hope you don’t mind, but her is a quick rework with what I was thinking.